What's new

Prometheus (2012) (2 Viewers)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
One thing that I thought that I haven't seen mentioned here is that the Alien seen in the final shot is actually the Queen alien. It was created by the *SUPER* facehugger, and the last thing we see is it's lower jaw extending from it's bridge, in the same manner that the Queen alien reveals itself. It also would explain where all the eggs come from, where there were none in this movie.

So that would leave 2 items that conflict with the original Alien, the Space Jockey not being in the chair, and the name of the planet.

Both of these could easily be explained with some creative writing, the Queen or something else could have carried him there, and the planet naming conventions could change in the time between this movie and the original.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't know if this has been mentioned before, but how about the tired cliche of the space crew waking up from hyper-sleep and one of the members meeting another FOR THE FIRST TIME?!?!? really? a trillion dollar expedition with 17 people, and there are some who haven't even met yet? :) even in today's space programs, the element of co-habition and the ability to work together in harmony is a huge factor in deciding who gets to go and who doesn't.
i like the theory that the Engineers originally decided to kill off humans because we were too violent, or our technology was evolving too rapidly.
i also agree that the scientists didn't really act very scientist-y in this movie. for better directions on how it should have gone, i think Sunshine or Sphere were better ways to go.

i guess i had too-high expectations going into the movie. i purposely skipped the trailers so i could go in fresh, hoping to be blown away, but i wasn't. i wasn't expecting an Alien movie... i was expecting a human vs engineer movie (or human vs engineer legacy movie), where the conflict would be created by something other than the aliens. the fact that the producers were hesitant to call this movie a prequel is misleading. this is an Alien movie through and through. in fact there's a 100% DNA match! :)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
btw at the beginning of the movie when Prometheus landed on LV 223, was there only one "giant igloo" or were there a string of them? i was almost sure that there was only one. however if you go to apple trailers and watch the clip of them landing, you can see a long line of them:

5b7c35a4_prometheus.jpeg

just curious if i remembered it wrong.

obviously at the end of the movie David does say there are more ships, and they do find one, but i just don't remember seeing those additional structures.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I remember a line of those structures. The guys only went into the first one. The Engineer ship was below the surface between the structure and the Prometheus. Presumably the other ships were also below the surface.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I saw it this weekend with extremely low expectations for the story and script, but was pleasantly surprised. Granted, the films has some pretty big flaws; the music; too many characters that are poorly developed making their actions non-sensical; and the unneeded shot of the alien hybrid at the end. However, I really enjoyed the film in spite of these issues. It was great to see a Ridley Scott film that didn't rely on shaky cam and editing tricks to tell a dull story. I also liked the layered ideas of the story; not just the idea of finding our origins, which I liked, but I really liked the idea of our struggles with our parents, in particular issues with our fathers. The paternal issues were I thought the most interesting aspect of the film, and personified the best through the character of David; who, let's face it, was the center of the story.
I also like the idea of doing a prequel (or in other circumstances a sequel) that is completely different than the first film. Just using the atmosphere and environment that's already been developed and telling new and different stories in those places is a great way to do that type of film. This film is less a haunted house in space, and more of a talky-thriller.
I will say I'm a little less doubtful of the Blade Runner sequel.
B+ for me.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
OK, I admit it. What I REALLY wanted to see was Alien 5. A prequel was the next best thing but what we got here feels like a different universe (no pun intended) altogether, despite the few visual references to the other films. I wonder what kind of script John Spaihts wrote before Mr. Lost took over.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I also thought it was interesting that the 'nub' on top of the pyramid was revealed to be a gigantic evil looking skull when viewed from head on. If Prometheus had only landed 90 degrees more in the clockwise direction, they could have had a nice warning to stay away.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I kind of wanted more similiar baddies running around chasing people too. But it appears we witnessed the birth of the first Xenomorph as we know them, and if they make a 2nd movie will see more of them (I hope).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by EricW /t/316483/ridley-scotts-prometheus-contains-spoilers/360#post_3937572
i like the theory that the Engineers originally decided to kill off humans because we were too violent, or our technology was evolving too rapidly.

They wanted to KILL OFF humans because we were TOO VIOLENT.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not that it matters here perhaps, I saw that Prometheus was number two behind Madigascar. I guess that series is way more popular then I had thought!
Of course the R rating limited the audience.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
But it appears we witnessed the birth of the first Xenomorph as we know them, and if they make a 2nd movie will see more of them (I hope).

did we? didn't one of the many engineer skeletons have a chest burst?
also do we have any indication whether the original incidents on LV426 (Jockey with a chest burst right at the space gun) happened before or after this movie?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Nelson Au said:
Not that it matters here perhaps, I saw that Prometheus was number two behind Madigascar. I guess that series is way more popular then I had thought!
As the parent of two little guys, I can tell you there's been a pent up demand for a kid's movie. Since January, The Lorax and Pirates have really been the only two animated kid's movie and both of those were mediocre in my view (I wasted money on both). I don't think Madagascar is a kid version of Harry Potter that kids couldn't wait to see every sequel, it's just there's been very little that parents have been able to take kids too this year and Madagascar 3 was the first family offering since school let out. I predict Brave does well for that same reason.
My two cents.
Peace,
DM

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Jeff Cooper said:
One thing that I thought that I haven't seen mentioned here is that the Alien seen in the final shot is actually the Queen alien.  It was created by the *SUPER* facehugger, and the last thing we see is it's lower jaw extending from it's bridge, in the same manner that the Queen alien reveals itself.  It also would explain where all the eggs come from, where there were none in this movie.
So that would leave 2 items that conflict with the original Alien, the Space Jockey not being in the chair, and the name of the planet.
Both of these could easily be explained with some creative writing, the Queen or something else could have carried him there, and the planet naming conventions could change in the time between this movie and the original.

I don't think that this crashed ship is supposed to be the same ship from LV-426. I believe there'll be a different story as to how that ship wound up where the Nostromo crew (and later LV-426 settlers) found it that is separate from the events of this story.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Quote:
But it appears we witnessed the birth of the first Xenomorph as we know them, and if they make a 2nd movie will see more of them (I hope).
did we? didn't one of the many engineer skeletons have a chest burst?
also do we have any indication whether the original incidents on LV426 (Jockey with a chest burst right at the space gun) happened before or after this movie?
When they enterted the urn chamber, one of the murals on the wall/ceiling showed what looked a lot like the alien queen and/or the final chest burster alien shown in the film. Because of that, I'm inclined to believe that the alien form we are familiar with (or at least something very similar) was something of which the Engineers were already aware over 2000 years prior to the events of the film.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I believe that the mural was done by H.R. Giger.

I also think that each of those silos on LV-223 may well have had separate bioweapons in them. It's possible that there were alien eggs in a different silo. Or it's possible that a queen could be created to start laying the eggs as a separate idea from what we saw in this movie.

Either way, the Engineer ship found in ALIEN on LV-426 was carrying a cargo hold full of those eggs. And the only Engineer found by the Nostromo crew was the pilot on the bridge. It's possible that there were more that the Nostromo folk didn't find or see.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This was in the urn chamber. It looks a lot like the alien form we are familiar with and similar to the new "alien" at the end.
So this would indicate that it is not a new development.
935f79a4_urnchambermural.jpeg

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Not sure I understand the meaning behind this post.
Chances lowered for a sequel because it didn't open at #1 this weekend?
The $50M take in the US was actually quite good for an R rated Sci-Fi movie.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan /t/316483/ridley-scotts-prometheus-contains-spoilers/360#post_3937859
I don't think that this crashed ship is supposed to be the same ship from LV-426. I believe there'll be a different story as to how that ship wound up where the Nostromo crew (and later LV-426 settlers) found it that is separate from the events of this story.
This has been bugging me more and more, the more I think about it.

If it isn't supposed to be the same ship, the same planet, then why go through so much obvious set up for it to be? When the ship takes off, we expect it to somehow crash back down, because we know it's crashed on the ground in Alien. And then, guess what? It does, and we go ooohhh that's how it got there. We are expecting the Engineer to get impregnated, because that's what we know from Alien, and bingo! it happens! When Shaw leaves her voice recording, we go oohhh, is that the signal that the Nostromo detected?

Why would they confirm all of our expectations that way, when it isn't supposed to be the same?

But then we have the continuity breaking scene of the chestburster, and the different planet name. Ironically if the final 30 seconds had never even been included, it could have been the perfect tie in to Alien. We would have just assumed that the Engineer woke up, like Kane did, made his way to the ship and somehow tried to pilot it, and BAM! ex-engineer. Similarly all they would have had to do was change 2 digits on a planetary map and the other inconsistency would have been erased also.

So why include less than 30 seconds of film that completely invalidates everything we know vs. the entire 3rd act that seemingly sets up perfectly for Alien? Boggles my mind. Makes it even more strange if the reports that the studio forced the final scene in the film. Makes me wonder if a director's cut will play differently... (which Ridley has confirmed is coming. See todays digitalbits post).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks