Prolotherapy for injuries - does it work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin_Su, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Calvin_Su

Calvin_Su Stunt Coordinator

I have a torn labrum and am considering prolotherapy.

Has anyone here tried it, or know anyone who tried it? If so, what was your/his/her experience? did it work?

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I've never tried it personally, but I work in disability claims and have seen cases where it was tried.

To the best of my recollection, I don't recall it being of any significant benefit in any of the cases I've seen.

3. Calvin_Su

ttt

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

My wife has been going for prolotherapy for about 5 months. Years ago she had an accident and as a result has some problems with the vertebrae in her neck/upper back. Prolotherapy was the only option available. The therapy has made big improvements for her and has helped reduce the number of headaches and pains she gets. In case you don't know much about prolotherapy it's basically an injected solution that helps irriate the immune system causing the body to regrow and tighten muscles. My wife can feel the effects almost immediately after the procedures. You also won't be allowed to take any anti-inflammatories while on the treatment (Advil, Motrin, Aspirin) since they block the immune systems inflammatory response.
    I've seen it done at one of her procedures and man it isn't easy to watch. The doctor uses a huge needle for the injecting but my wife doesn't mind. Insurance probably won't cover it which sucks. In our case it's about $500.00 every 6 weeks. Depending on your case you made need 4 or more treatments until your problem resolves itself.

Good Luck,
    Jeff

5. Calvin_Su

Thanks for the info Jeff.

You said that the doctor injects a "huge" needle? I hope you don't mean its a *thick* needle. Exactly how is it different from getting a normal shot from the doctor? What does your wife say about the pain while getting the injections?

I can handle getting normal shots, even though i do feel they hurt a little when the medicine is being injected.

6. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Calvin, It all depends on where you need the treatment at. My wife gets between 15-20 shots per visit. The doctor injects her along the back right into the tendons. She said it really doesn't hurt. She does get sore afterwards because of the body tightening up from the shots but it's helped her alot. The time I watched I was amazed to see the procedure being done. No it wasn't a horse-needle [​IMG] It just wasn't your typical tiny needle you get booster shots with, it was a little longer and thicker (probably since it has to get into the tendons).
    Jeff

7. Calvin_Su

My injury is in the labrum, which is a soft ring shaped cartilage in the shoulder joint that holds the humerus.
    I wonder how/where they would inject for that...

I read in "prolo your pain away" that one doctor said he would rather treat 100 women than one guy, because they have better pain tolerance.

8. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Hmm, not sure about that area. However my wife is going in for her treatment tomorrow and I can ask the doctor about it.

Jeff

9. Calvin_Su

thanks