What's new

prologic2 calibration (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i heard that in order to make dolby prologic2 sounds good we need to calibrate the system.

i dont get it. how to calibrate it?

besides using it for gamecube ( which is collecting dust until mario sunshine or starfox adv comes out ), i dont like it for my music listening session.

i am still curious about why people like dpl2. i want to experience the same experience, i just need to know where to start.

thanks

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Felix;

Get Eternal Darkness. That should satisfy your DPL II needs for some time and give you a reason to play your GameCube.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
haaa.

thanks! but i make it a habit to purchase a game after the price goes down. i am playing serious sam now. can you believe that? i bought the first and the second one for 18 bucks shipped from ebay.

well, back to the topic. i really want to hear what dpl2 has to offer. so far i think it sucks big time. i paid a lot of money for denon avr2802! if i didnt use dpl2, i think it is my loss. i should have bought 2801 instead. or 3801.

what was the main purpose of dpl2, really? i bet they didnt have gamecube in mind when they invented it. i wanted to use it for my music listening, but it makes everything sound muffled.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Felix;

It's just a better method of splitting two-channel mixes into a surround format than the original Dolby Pro-Logic. You can use this for any movies you have that don't feature 5.1 soundtracks, as well as for television.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DPL II is useless for music, IMO, as is almost any DSP. That's just my taste. However, for the select movie or two recently, PL-II does what it should do quite well. I have come across the odd DVD here and there that are only DD Surround, stereo, and even the more uncommon MONO. PL-II did a decent job of spreading the sound out. It definitely does not sound like true 5.1, but it sounds good enough. Is it really worth it? I have found that I am not benefitting from it that much.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Felix I disagree with John about DPL II being useless for music. I use the "DPL II Music" mode on my Yammi RX-V530 extensively for CD audio listening. For most sources it's a remarkable improvement over the "2 channel stereo" option.

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John, I share your opinion about DPL2 music. I purchased an HK AVR 520 last December and was expecting to be using DTS Neo 6, Logic 7, or hey, remember stereo - for music. I was stunned at how sonically superior I found the DPL2 music mode to be over the others. My old HK had a "club" mode that I liked very much but it was a DSP ambience mode with no center channel. DPL2 has an excellent forward sound stage which does not sound hollowed out like Neo 6 and L7.

Some of the Denons and HK's in the $500 price range would be excellent. Any of the receivers recommended here I'm sure would be quite good

Rock on

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Felix
I was blown away by DPL2. My old CDs sound so much
better its like hearing them for the first time.
As for the settings, if your receiver is capable
of DPL2 it should allow you to adjust the following
parameters : Panorama(stereo image to surround speakers)
Dimension(Sounfield forward or backward)
Center width(amount of music that goes to center speaker)
If you set it up wright, DPL2 will give you goosebumps,
I think it is that good.:D
Robert

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Felix:

in DPL2 Music mode try Panorama OFF, Dimension 3 and Center Width 3-5 as a starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks