Prologic II with TV?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JeanPaul, Feb 17, 2004.

1. JeanPaul

JeanPaul Extra

I've been tooling around with PLII. It sounds great with HBO and other movies on cable. My question is this...can ALL signals coming through my cable box be split into ProLogic or does it need to be precoded? What setting is best when just listening to regular Dan Rather..Simpsons...ESPN??? I have an Onkyo TXsr500, Klipsch SC1 center, Bose 301 fronts (I know...), Klipsch RW8 sub, and old JBL surrounds

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

DPL2 (or ProLogic II) is designed for use with all 2-channel sources, regardless of how those sources have been encoded.

M.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes, you can use matrix processing such as PL on ANY 2-channel source you want. I will differ in terminology only because I don't like the idea that people automatically use PL on everything just because they can. I would not say that PL was "designed to be used" on all 2-channel sources, but CAN be used on any stereo source, regardless of how it was mixed.

Things like music I personally would not expand into surround, but try it and see what you like. Things that aren't expressely mixed for PL processing may yield mixed results, but certainly play around with it and see what you like with what sources.

4. JeanPaul

JeanPaul Extra

thanks for the info...I'm new to this forum and already found a home!!!

What do you think about bringing my Bose 301's back as rears (although crappy they should do alright there) and maybe getting Klipsch SB2 as fronts???

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I think you should ask this in the Speakers forum. Basics is for just that: basic questions. Advice on specific systems should be sought in the appropriate hardware
    areas(s).

M.