Prokofiev "borrowed" in Land Before Time soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicole P, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Nicole P

Nicole P Stunt Coordinator

I was watching The Land Before Time (first one in the series) with the family for the first time a few days ago.
    During the opening underwater scene, I was surprised to hear a section of music almost identical to the balcony scene from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. While the main theme had a few notes added here and there, the pulsing supporting lower string line was the same.
    Later in the film when the young dinosaurs are planning the demise of the t-rex, there are two other Prokofiev quotes, this time note for note. When Ducky is hiding in the cave as bait, the suspenseful descending string notes are actually from Peter and Wolf when the rope is being lowered.
    When the t-rex actually attacks and snaps at Ducky, it's Peter and the Wolf again with the angry trapped wolf score - French horns and all.
    Have any other classical fans noticed this?
    Mr Horner must have been running low on ideas that year [​IMG]

2. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Horner "borrows" from Prokofiev, among others, quite often. If Prokofiev, Holst, Tchaikovsky, Copland, Goldsmith, Williams, Barry, etc. do not appear in a Horner score I become worried.