What's new

Projectors (1 Viewer)

Boilermaker76

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
I am in the process of building my firt HT, and have some questions concerning front projectors. I have a throw of 17.5 feet, and was planning on buying the Sony hs60, before learning that the zoom is too small. Several friends have the Sony and love the results. In trying to find a solution, I see that the Panasonic PT-AE900U has recieved great reviews, but I can not find a store that has one operating. Can anyone tell me how the Panasonic compares to the Sony? I want to stay in the $2K range.

Thanks.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I have had the 900u since February and it has been an exceptional projector. At the time, I compared it against the sony 51 and liked the Panasonic better.

In addition, you can get the Panasonic for around 1749.99, and for a short time they are offering a 400.00 cash rebate and a 300.00 blockbuster card from Panasonic. I just ordered a new bulb from ProjectorPeople.com and saw the price. Basically, you will be getting the Panasonic for a throw away price of 1349.00. Almost makes it hard to buy a new bulb when it goes instaed of just buying a new projector.

The Reviews have been more than favorable on the 900U, many reviewers giving it the status of the best under 2500.00 projector value on the market.

Hope this helps, and good luck on you decision.

Thomas Eisenmann

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
Have you considered the Optoma HD72. It's under $2000 and is a 720p DLP. I think it has a short throw also, something like 100" at 10'. It has just as much great reviews as the 900u and is an alternative if you have dont have a well darkened room.

Boilermaker76

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Thomas. Glad to hear a side by side comparison and that you are a happy user! THis forum is a wealth of information!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
hi gary,

have you tried this:
www.projectorcentral.com
?

try it and let us know how you make out. i used it to find the perfect project for me: BenQ 6200. the reason is cause i watch more 4:3 classic films than 16:9. the website is a great resource.

Boilermaker76

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Purchased the Panasonic from Projectorpeople today. After all the research and help from the forum, I believe this may be the optimum for me. With my 17.5 feet throw requirment, I think it will give me the most flexibility. As soon as I set it up, (hopefully this week-end), I may be back with questions for building the screen, (white or gray and gain). Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks