Projectors: what am i looking for?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Drew_E, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Drew_E

Drew_E Agent

I really want to go with a projector, but i am rather unwilling to go to a much higher price than the costco pioneer 64" hdtv that runs 2200 bucks. I am looking for similar performance and the pioneer unit will be my basis for comparison.

how bright do i need it? the room is relatively dark. can i measure the brightness of the room? it doesn't close off completely.

what resolution do i need? and what brightness do i need?

are the bulb costs unbearable if you want to use this for regular TV watching (light use, 2 hrs a day).

is there a thread that has a lot of info on this? or a website? thanks in advance!

edit: i think i found what i want. the panasonic PT-L300U seems to be a favorite here and i think it will fit the bill nicely. i found it for $1599 -- is it available for a lower price anywhere else?

i'm having trouble picking out a screen. any good electrics? i don't know what size. 17 feet is distance from eyeballs to screen. television and dvd will be watched. what should i be looking for?! i dont' want to spend a lot on the screen. $500 seems like a lot to me, but i'm willing to do what it takes for a good screen.

2. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

At 17 feet the screen door reduction the 300u offers for shorter distances should not be an issue for you. You may want to check out the Sanyo Z1 / Boxlight 1-HD clone at http://www.projectorshopper.com/proj...p?prodid=15118 and save $400 and get a free screen.

If price wasn't an issue, I would have gotten the 300U. But I also sit about 10 - 12' from my screen and as it turned out screen door isn't an issue for me with my 1HD.

3. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

I sit 17' with my l300U (you can actually sit closer but that’s where I like it); I use a 96' DIY screen and love it. I have compared my screen to Firehawk and Greyhawk samples & White (blackout cloth) and like mine better.
    Also when buying make sure to ask about dead pixel policy. I went with Visualapex because they guarantee no dead pixels on all Panasonic PJ's.

Rick

4. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

For a real "theater-like" feel, I'd go with at least a screen-width-to-viewing-distance ratio of 2x. So with your viewing distance of 17' that equates to about a 102" wide 16:9 screen (117" diagonal).

That screen size is pretty large for the available lumens from the Panasonic. So you might want to go with a screen surface material with a little gain, to keep the brightness level acceptable.

And I second the Visual Apex suggestion. They have excellent customer service and policies!

David Giles

5. Drew_E

Drew_E Agent

thanks for the replies! what is door reduction? in otherwords, what am i paying the extra $400 bucks for that i may not need? Cheaper is better. I also really want an electric screen... but the cheapest i've found is $500- and i don't want to scrafice noticeable quality.

in fact, the area where the screen will drop down from is a little bay opening-- it looks like it was made for a theater screen to be there! it's 8 feet wide.

as for size, however, i don't think i want to go 117" wide. i thought about it- and if it were my own personal system i'd do it; however, this is for my parents house, and they're old'ish (50's)... i read that over 2x may feel too busy. for regular TV watching, it seems like it may be a chore to them to watch tv at 2x for them. i thought that maybe 2.25x to 2.5x might be appropriate. any input on this would be appropriate.

what kind of screen textures am i looking for? if brightness is the problem, it's grainy? what if brightness is not the problem? thanks.

6. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Straight from the 300u feature list:
    Smooth Screen Technology- Minimizing the Screen Door Effect
    When an LCD projector shows images on a large screen, black lines can appear between the pixels. This phenomenon called the screen door effect is minimized in this projector by Panasonic's original smooth screen technology. Using a double refraction crystal device smooth screen technology reduces the gaps between pixels to give images the same smooth texture you enjoy at the movie theater

7. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

Rip, could you tell us what your diy screen material is.I'm in the process of buying/making a screen and I'm collecting as many ideas as I can find. Thanks

8. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I also should had stated that screen door is not noticeable at 2x the distance of the screen size. I am at 1.5 with my IHD and that is why I wanted the 300U. As it turned out though it really isn't much of an issue for me.

One other thing to consider with the Z1/1HD over the Panny is the adjustable lense on the Z1. It makes installation easier because you can move the lense to compensate easier than most projectors. Other than that though I bet the 300U is better in everything else.

9. Yucel

Yucel Auditioning

Hi Robert.Have ever watch standart TV with your Z1?Did you like image quality?
    Thanks...

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    117" is a bit large for the L300U in my opinion although youc ould certainly do it if you wished. Moving the seating closer could be an option for this projector to around 12' and combine with a 96" screen.

11. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

jimmy~e
    "Rip, could you tell us what your diy screen material is. i'm in the process of buying/making a screen and I'm collecting as many ideas as I can find. Thanks"

Im using a formula that a fellow HTF'er (aka: ddog) came up with that uses a mixture of Behr mettalic Silver,Behr Faux Glaze and Flat white paint. You can take look over at the AVS forum, the thread is already at 18 pages right now.

Rick

12. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

Yeah Drew, if you think your parents might not care for the 2x ratio, then by all means go with a smaller screen. With a 2.5x viewing-distance-to-screen-width ratio, you end up with roughly a 82" wide (94" diagonal) screen. Screen door will be absolutely invisible with the L300U from that distance. And you'll have a much brighter image too.

And as Robert mentioned above, the L300U's screen door reduction technology wouldn't even be necessary with the viewing distance/image size we're talking about. You could consider other less expensive projectors and have a little more to spend on your screen.

David Giles

13. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

jimmy~e
    "Rip, could you tell us what your diy screen material is. i'm in the process of buying/making a screen and I'm collecting as many ideas as I can find. Thanks"

Im using a formula that a fellow HTF'er (aka: ddog) came up with that uses a mixture of Behr mettalic Silver,Behr Faux Glaze and Flat white paint. You can take look over at the AVS forum, the thread is already at 18 pages right now.

Rick

Ah, the famous D-Dogg's formula! Yes, I am a daily reader of the AVScience Forum's Screen board! Thanks Rik

14. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit