Projectors for beginners... Help please.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BryanDO, Oct 3, 2006.

1. BryanDO

BryanDO Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I've been looking into a used projector for my next home theater venture. I don't know much about them and would like to learn as much as I can before dipping in. Anyone know of web sites for projector beginners. Is there anything I need to know about them? I plan to use it for only dvd's and maybe a little gaming. How would I go about connecting both when most projectors only have one input without losing quality? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

P.S. i have googled and searched on here and have found nothing.

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Check out www.projectorcentral.com . there is a lot of really good info for beginers and reviews to help you narrow down your selection.
    As far as the inputs, thats why you use a video switching amp. Most amps today even convert composite or s-video up to component outputs. That makes hooking everything up much easier. I only use the Component and the HDMI on mine. I also have the composite hooked up to the composite out on my DVD player so I can watch 2 games at once on sunday....
    My projector will display the DVD player/cable box, my HD OTA reciever, the Playstation, the Cable Company Box and a dusty old VCR. All through the Comp1 input thanks to my audio reciever. The computer is the only thing hooked up to the HDMI input. But, when I do have other HDMI stuff, eventually, the Amp I have will also switch 2 of those as well.
    I'd be carefull of used, time on bulb can easily be manipulated. check replacement bulb cost and do some research on how long they tend to last. don't trust the manufacturers estimation, they can be WAY off. I'm happy with my BenQ, but wouldn't buy one again because of the bulb life. I got 700 hours out of my first one. BenQ said avg life would be 3000 or more hours.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Bryan, I wouldn't buy a used projector unless you knew the person. Especially with the low prices of new projectors now. What is your budget just for projector? Another great site is Projectorreviews.com. Art there, does the best, most thorough reviews of anybody out there.

4. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

There's lots of options available at the

5. BryanDO

Thanks for the input guys. I want to keep the budget below a thousand. I'm using a Yamaha HTR-5640 with a few component inputs. I'm not sure if a 720p or 1080i signal can pass through it though? A 90" screen would be just about as big as I'd want it. Also 16:9 would be nice. Any projector I get would certainly be ran in economode as well to save lamp life. Just curious how long I can run a component cable before you lose image quality?

Thanks for your help guys, I apreciate your input.

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    In your situation, I would buy a new Optoma H31 for $599, or a new Optoma H27 for $699 with screen at Costco. But the H27 has a HUGE image offset(57%). Both are 16:9, 480p DLP projectors and very popular.

7. BryanDO

The H31 looks perfect but still pricey. Should be around 1050 to my door CDN.

I found a mint Epson Powerlite 50c projector for a very attractive price. Any thoughts on it? Using a calculator on the net, at 16 ft away from the wall (screen) the size will be 120" diagonal! That's insane! Is there any way to make the screen smaller without moving the projector?

8. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Avoid the Epson 50c like the plague. It's a 4:3 LCD projector, 400:1 contrast ratio, and came out in 2001. I have no idea what projectors you have access to in Canada. I would add the Infocus 4805 to the 2 I listed above.

9. BryanDO

I don't mind a 4:3 projector since technically it'll still show the 16:9 picture much larger than my current TV. and the black bars wont be noticeable. After researching the the 50c further. You are quite right about the low contrast.

How about an Infocus X1? Contrast ratio is 2000:1 and has about 700 lumens while watching video? Also going for less than 500CAD.

10. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I've had the X1 for over 2 years now, it's my first projector, and I've been very happy with it. But I would not buy one now. You can do much better for $1,000 or less.