What's new

Projectors aren't my bag, baby...... (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'm all into home audio, but don't know squat about projectors.....If anyone can offer me some help with a few questions I'd appreciate it.

I have a 15x25 room that is quite dark. The far end has a patio door, but the room is too dark to read in during the day w/out having a light on. The seating area would be approx. 12 feet from the wall the screen would be on.

I was wondering...What is the LEAST amount of money I would likely need to spend in order to pick up an entry level projector for DVDs and HDTV, screen, cables, and whatever else I would need. I currently have a 51" Hitachi Ultravision widescreen RPTV.....would a front projector be an upgrade in pic quality? Can the projector be about three feet to the right of center and still project a cohesive image? Or would it have to project from the center of the screen?

Lastly, I was thinking of giving the RPTV to my folks, and then picking up like a 36" set for tv watching, with the projector screen on the wall behind and above it for movies and HDTV sporting events. Is this feasible?

Thanks in advance!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It is feasible.

You may want something above entry level. But, you can get something ike the popular Infocus 4805 plus all the cabling and a screent hat you can easily make for

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Thanks, Neil.....Would the InFocus you recommended be an upgrade in pic quality over a Hitachi RPTV? I've never seen the type of image these things produce.

JohnnyKretentiv

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the same position you are in a few months ago. I knew nothing at all about these darn mystical boxes. I have a 65" HDTV and wanted and upgrade. I went with the Sanyo Z3 becuase of its great lens shift capibilites and the 720p resolution. The HD image looks unreal. It looks like a 100" plasma tv. With DVD the picture also looks fantastic. It looks as good as my tv.

I got my cables, mount, projector and screen for $1850.
Look at my links and you will see that I have the screen infront of my tv.

Just make sure you have a really dark room and have this thing set up correctly. Get right size screen and the seating distance figured out.

You will like what you see. It is like a real theater. I used to call my basement theater a "theater" before I got this projector. Boy was I wrong. Since I got this projector I can safely say, "It IS a theater now."

Take your time and do your research.

Look at the Mitsu HC3, Sanyo Z3, Optoma H31, and the Infocus 4805 to start. The Panasonic AE700 is also quite good.

JohnnyKretentiv

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks I appreciate the comments. It is 5 years worth of the spending and saving. Notice the order? Spending THEN saving.. I would recommended doing it the other way a round.

I really enjoy my setup and watch at least 3 - 4 movies a week. It is worth it!!!!!!

Thanks again

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Z:

Any of the projectors mentioned would be great to have in your setup. I have seen the Infocus 4805 and it is a fantastic projector for the money. The guys at TV Authority can fix you up with one and the screen/cables, etc. for a great deal. They could work something out for you on the Panasonic AE700 too. The others I am not sure of so I would just give them a call. They can give you some recommendations for a set up and save you money too.

I would also recommend that you use your RPTV for casual viewing like regular TV shows and leave your projector for watching anything in HiDef and DVDs. This will decrease the frequency at which you change the bulb out.

I would also recommend that you give Dave at Carada a call and tell him what you are going to be doing. He will fix you up with a great screen at an even better price. Just tell Dave and the guys at TV Authority that you're a member here and they will get you hooked up.

JohnnyKretentiv

Stunt Coordinator
I echo the previous comments about casual viewing. My little guy wants to watch Blues Clues and stuff and will not waste my bulb's life on Blues Clues or the news. That's why I have both the RPTV and the PJ. I can't believe I refer to my 65" as the "little one" now.

The guys at projector people got me a Z3 for MUCH less than they are advertising.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey, 6! lol

Thanks for the feedback :emoji_thumbsup:

You were so correct about the PB10, and I was so surprised how content I am with my 4.1 set up now, that I am considering a projector over a Maggie upgrade. Based on what you guys are saying, I think it's more feasible than I thought.

JohnnyKretentiv

Stunt Coordinator
You will get much more return from the projector than speaker upgrades. Sometimes I get in a a rut (some call it the upgrade bug) where I think that changing speakers, sub or cables is going to give me a better HT Experience but in the end it really never makes much of a difference. As long as you start in a decent place to begin with.

A 100" Hi Def picture on the other hand. WOW!

If you keep the TV then you will want to run cables to both the TV and the PJ. I have found a great solution for the that. I bought a 4x2 (4 in 2 out) HDTV Matrix. This switcher is remote control and has the abilty to handle 1080i without a problem. Well worth the money ($100) and it allows you to only use 1 input on you TV and your PJ cause it does the switching.

Good for people that have
XBox
PS2
HD Box
DVD Player
running on component outs and don't have enough inputs or for crazies like me with 2 HD displays in the same room.

I'm getting ahead of things. You can tell I'm getting excited already.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
lol.....well, I get excited over watching sports in HD on my RPTV.....I can't imagine having it on a 100" screen! So I can see why you are so excited :)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
What about the idea of projecting from an off-center location, guys? I have a mantle that is behind and above the center seating position. I'm guessing it's about 3' to the right of center....maybe like 30 degrees off axis. Can I project from this type of location and still have a cohesive image on the screen? Or do I need to project from a center location?

Thanks again for all your help.....I'm really excited about this as a potential upgrade!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. Didn't I see a book titled.. "Projectors and me, this stuff really is my bag baby" Author was one "AlanZ" I sware!!!!!!

:)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

If the projector doesn't have lens shift or the like, the lens will need to be centered with the screen. The majority of projectors do not have their lens centered in the case, so there is some play there for placement but really not more than a few inches. You will probably want to ceiling mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks