What's new

projectors and HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Derek D

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Duncan
I have an epson moviemate 25,and I am wanting to upgrade my projector to something more compatible.I can't afford much, but I as looking at some entry level DLP projectors. What I was wondering is, the models that have a native resolution of 854x480,or 1024x576, be compatible with HD-DVD. I know they will play HDTV just fine, all the models I see have a dvi connector, how will it look if it is compatible, and will it work with component video, or just dvi.

Thanks
Derek D

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Considering that regular dvd is 720 x 480, with a 1024 x 576 display you would get a better picture when showing HD movies, but not an outstanding difference. I would suggest, if you can afford too, going to 1280x720, as in the wonderful new Sony HS60 projector, which can be had for about 2700.00 online. If you're spending the money, might as well get something where you would really see the HD picture and be prepared for the great pictures yet to come on high def broadcast and dvd. My Sony projector is 1366 x 768 and when watching high def movies from cable, the picture is beautiful, miles ahead and better than dvd (even though the full resolution of HD is 1920 x 1080).

How much can you afford? Be sure when choosing (if you do) a lower res (under 1280x720) projector that it is 16x9 and capable of high definition signals. To be prepared well for high def dvd, you should have an HDMI input on the projector, as the studios may lower the resolution of the high def signal through only analog inputs. This signal would then be very close to regular dvd. I would highly suggest the HDMI connection on your new projector.

Dan M

Second Unit
I can tell you this much, I've watched over the air hi-def via component thru my Infocus 4805 and it was nothing less than stunning IMHO.

However, I too have been looking at some of the 720p DLP's out there to take advantage of the upconverting dvd players until this whole Bluray/HD DVD thing smooths out some....

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You need to ensure that you have HDCP compatible DVI input, or an HDMI input (which will be HDCP compatible).

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I would say, wait until you can upgrade to at least 1280 x 720 (720p).

IMHO buying an x480 or an x576 is a waste of time and effort and money nowadays if you are at all into hi-def. They are simply not hi-def.

Two excellent 720p LCD projectors you can get in the $1600. range after rebates and bonuses are the Panasonic PT-AE900 and Sanyo PLV-Z4. Their predecessors 'AE700 and 'Z3 may still be available in stores and are also excellent, also have HDCP, and are available for less.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Definately get at least 720p (1080p is something most of us can't comfortably spend on a projector). You don't need digital input, component works as well and the picture is equally stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks