projector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Denon, Aug 27, 2002.

1. James Denon

James Denon Auditioning

I am building a dedicated home theater in my basement. The room dimensions are 14.5' x 22.5'. The room will not have any exterior windows. I am looking for a high projector in the price range of $6000. I am also looking for a projector that will survive the new HDTV digital input contoversey (ie DVI, Firewire, HDMI. I would also like projector to project in 16:9 format. I would prefer the maximum resolution possible. I have been very interested in the DLP technology. I understand that TI has been developing a new DMD that improves upon the chips ability to produce better black level. Has anyone heard about this? One last question. When do manufacturers launch their new model year. I have heard that it is typically fall for most manufacturers. Thanks for your help.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The interest in DLP aside, one of the best choices is probably the Sanyo PLV-70. You have a lot of space, so you're going to want a nice large screen (unless you plan to only use part of the room for the HT). I'm personally partial to bright, punchy pictures and rich colors. To fill a large screen, you're going to need a projector that:

1. Is bright
    2. Has a good fill ratio
    3. Has a high native resolution.

The PLV-70 is an LCD based projector with MLA technology. The fill ratio approaches 85% (single chip DLP's are a bit higher at 88%). It has 2200 ANSI lumens, and a 1366x768 native resolution (higher than any DLP produced), which means you'll be able to effectively drive a huge screen. It has 900:1 on/off contrast too, the highest of any LCD based unit. It has a DVI input, a great scaler (one of the very best internal ones made), produces 35dB of noise (very low for the brightness), has a 2000 hour bulb, and has a street price of about $5300. It's also marketed as the Boxlight Cinema 20HD.

TI has recently introduced the HD-2 chip, which has 2 functions:

1. Main function: decrease cost of chip
    2. Increase contrast

The HD-2 is only found on the new Samsung DLP based HDTV's. No front projector has integrated this chip yet, at this time.

Let's take a look at some of the advantages of DLP:

1. Contrast upwards of 1800:1 (the HP XB31, which unfortunately has 1024x768 native resolution). The best 16:9 DLP units have upwards of 1200:1 contrast

2. Fill ratio is upwards of 88% on single chip units, with some 3-chip DLP's going above 90% (of course, these units are $50k and above).

3. They tend to be smaller

Here are a few disadvantages of DLP:

1. Colors are not as good as LCD, especially reds, which appear orange. LCOS/DILA projectors produce even better colors than LCD

2. Only the very expensive ones tend to be bright enough to fill large screens with a punchy image. Choose 2 of the 3: bright picture, large screen,

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

For that money, initial reports are that the Sanyo mentioned above (and its Boxlight clone) may be the choice (albeit a report at AVS on its RGB input was not great, but this was not a final unit, I believe). However, I don't believe its DVI input supports the requisite copy protection scheme, and it's arguable that the unit will be upgradeable to support it. I'm not sure if there are any/many front projectors out yet with the copy protection in their DVI ports.

Doug

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

There are a few HDCP capable DVI equipped projectors, but not many. My Proxima DP8000 is (3000 ANSI lumens, 800:1 contrast, XGA native LCD w/MLA). It's not a 16:9 native though. The Infocus LP650 is as well I believe (2500 ANSI lumens, 800:1 contrast, XGA native LCD w/MLA). The Infocus ScreenPlay LS110 has one as well (1000 ANSI lumens, 600:1 contrast, Dual mode 848x600 DLP). There might be others, but the choices are pretty slim.