Projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pedro Diaz, May 8, 2002.

1. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Hi,

Im a newbie. I have been reading the forum and I found that a projector and a screen are best way to do a home theater (Am I ok?).

The screen can be made. I have no problem with that.

But what about the projector? I dont know nothing about them.

The only brand that I have heard is Infocus. Which brands should I be looking for? Which features are most important ina projector? Do I only need the projector and the screen or do I need more accesories? And most important... What is the price for a projector?

Thanks for your replies.

Edit: BTW, the only projector I have read about is the Infocus ScreenPlay 110. But I dont have its price.

Edit 2: Ouch... the "affordable" Infocus ScreenPlay 110 cost is $4,999.00 USD. Any other suggestion?

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

The Panasonic AE100 has been getting rave reviews. It ships from Japan for a total around 1400 USD. Try www.projectorcentral.com and the av forum for more info. I am sure someone else can help you out further. The NEC LT 150 is also another one to look at, but more expensive.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The number one factor is how much money you are willing to spend on a projector. After that we can narrow down the choices. There are many, and an even greater price range.

4. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

I dont have a specific budget for it. Right now Im building my house and the HT room will be the last to be made.
    Knowing myself, I think, my max is from $2,000.00 USD to $3,000.00 USD(which I think is a lot of money). I started car audio in the same manner and I ended buying $600.00 USD comps for my car.
    The most important thing I have to deal is: Availability and price.
    I live in Mexico City and a lot of brands are not available. Even if the brand is available I have to see if the model is available.
    Price can be 60% more expensive than your prices because of taxes, duties and shipment charges.
    But I hope I can have the same luck as I had in car audio.
    Edit: For example, a 165K2 Focal comp in the US can be found for $350.00 USD. The same comp in Mexico has a $800.00 price tag. [​IMG]

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

One bit of advice:

Dedicate a room to HT if you're seriously interested in the hobby, and ask around for the best layout/dimensions. You can easily get a better 7" or 8" Sony CRT in your price range, and if you have the sound figured out, more power to you!

6. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Sony is a good brand in projectors? Which models are your recomendations?

7. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Yes, Sony definitely makes some of the better projectors out there. The 7" (VPH 12xx) Sonys are in your price range. I suggest you read some of the other threads going on right now...