Projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by CurtJ, Jan 22, 2006.

1. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

I am also looking for a front projector to go in my dedicated home theater room. The room will be around 18X20 or so. I want a good projector for watching a lot of sports and movies but would like to stay around 5K if possible.
    Thanks

2. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

Are you looking for LCD or DLP? Is the screen in the budget also? There's alot of projectors out there under 5k. The Panasonic AE900 and Sanyo Z4 are getting quite a few nods lately. The Infocus models are also in your budget. I didn't have quite the budget you have, so I went with the Sanyo Z3. Coupled with a 92" screen gives a great picture. Are you going to be able to control the lighting?

3. CurtJ

CurtJ Stunt Coordinator

The screen and the projector will be in the 5-6K budget. I am in the planning stages of the HT room but I will be able to control the light. Do you recommend LDC or DLP for watching football.

4. John S

John S Producer

That is a nice budget.

The projector you end up with, will most like be the one that offers the throw, screen size and offset for how / where you are going to be installing it.

When you get to $6K budget, you have to look at going just that much more for the 1080p Sony SXRD.

With 1080p on the horizon, you may be better off with a more bargain solution at this time, expecting to upgrade once the 1080p projectors start to come down.

You could be really cool, and go CRT front projection, I would assume some amazing products are available used in your price range.

experiement some with different screen sizes in your room, and decide where ideally you want to put the projector. Then some suggestions can be made for you.