What's new

Projector Wiring, Power and video together = Bad, right? (1 Viewer)

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so I think I know the answer to this, but want to ask those with more experience.

Is it "sorta bad" or "REALLY BAD" to be running a projector power cord and the video signal cables (S-Vid & Component, for now) right next to each other?

I know its one of those "things to be avoided if possible", but I don't think its easily done here...

Background:

We have a new "old-construction" home. Eventually, (in many years) I may have a dedicated HT space by converting a large outbuilding, but for now I'm doing the "Family Room" HT like many people.

Lived for a couple of years at our old place with the projector on a stand and a "pop-up" DaLite screen as a "temporary" solution. The problem is that setting things up was just enough of a hassle that we never took down the screen or projector unless we had serious company comping over. (Screen collapsed when we watched the tube tv behind it...)

So if we're going to use our projector again in the new house, its going to have to be a "cleaner" installation. I'm planning to build a "box" for an electric screen inside a soffit and then run crown-moulding along the perimeter of the room to dress it up. I'll probably also run the speaker wires for the surrounds most of the way behind the moulding and then between the joists to the final destination.

The problem is the projector wiring: The joists run perpendicular to the projector->screen axis. This is the ground-floor of a two-story house, so any wiring has to stay "below" the second floor. Like I said, I think I can get away with speaker wires behind the moulding, but I don't think there's enough room there for the additional wires, so I'm probably going to have to use that "wire channel" stuff for the wires from the front wall to the projector. This is already a tough sell with the wife, as even painted it will be visible. Running TWO of these (one for signal, one for power) is basically a non-starter, and there isn't a convenient power location anywhere around there, so it looks like the wires would have to go together in one channel...

How bad?

Any alternate suggestions?

For reference, my current PJ is an Epson Home 10+ (short throw, 480p & component/s-vid only). I know I'll upgrade eventually, but maybe by then I'll have begun converting my other space. In either case, I don't see getting HDMI cables in with the other mess of cables too...

Thanks.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Is the ceiling currently drywalled?

If not just bring the wires through the floor joists like this....

Just stay at least a minimum of 12" away from the electric and if you have to cross electric then make sure to cross at right angle to electric

like this at a 90 degree Angle

--E
--L
--E
--C
--T
--R
--I
--C
+ Video lines

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately yes, everything is drywalled and finished.

Plus, the house is old enough that I think we may not even have the I-beam joists like you have in your picture there... (not certain though, and not that it matters...).

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
well if it's a short run and you are only running component video and are forced to run the power in the same channel with the video I would recommend runnng Quad Shield Coax for your component video. That will give you the best shielding from the electric.

That's the only solution I can come up with.

You should be fine. (crosses fingers):)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I guess I did good since my power cord and component run inside a plastic tube together going to the pj. I do believe however my components r the shielded ones and I don't notice any form of interference in the 3 years I've been watching movies downstairs.
On another note, will an HDMI Tin-Plated Copper CL2 Rated enuff to travel with a power cord of a projector? Here is a link

Jugga_

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Hey guys im new here,

What will happen if the video and power cables are run together, is it just interference?

And should you try to avoid this for the speaker cabling too?

cheers.

Jared

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jared, “just interference” with video equals visible problems on the screen. You don’t want that.

With speakers “interference” equals audible problems, and you don’t want that either. However, speaker-level signals are high-level, and less susceptible to electrical interference than signal level (which is what video is).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks