Projector Wiring Help needed ASAP before Drywall

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MatthewP, Mar 6, 2005.

1. MatthewP

MatthewP Auditioning

Hi,

This will be my first projector and I was wondering what cables I should pass before the drywall goes up. Do I just need one VGA to Component? I have to be able to hook up my DVD, satellite or two and possibly Xbox or my PC
    Do I need Svideo or just basic RCA Video?

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. David Laplante

Hi Matthew,

I would say run a wire for every source that your projector accepts. you will soon find that it was worth the extra buck for the cables. Running a new wire when your walls are finished is close to impossible.

Spend the extra bucks to run all wire types if you can. If, later on you change projector, you will be glad you did it!

Dave

3. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

If at all possible try to run a conduit to allow for easy future upgrades. One day, you may get a projector with a DVI input (or something better)...having a conduit to simply snake the new necessary connection through will be a very nice thing to have... [​IMG]

4. MatthewP

MatthewP Auditioning

Problem is that I have not bought my projector yet, so I have no clue what I need

5. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Right...that's why the conduit would be so nice. I would run a 3" diameter pvc to give you lots of room when pulling the wires.

6. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

I've heard of running the conduit and leaving fishing many fishing line "pulls"..that way you will always have an easy way of pulling your wires through the pvc pipe and for very low cost..

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ditto that. I lay a conduit and ran string along with the cables for future purposes incase I ever change the projector.

8. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

When I was pulling cable I had no idea what projector I would end up with either so I tried to cover all bases.

I ran 3" conduit to the projector location and pulled DVI, component, composite and s-video. May yet run HDMI, but until projector manufacturers eliminate DVI I'll probably just use a DVI>HDMI adaptor.

Unless you have a ridicuously long run from equipment to projector it's probably cheaper and certainly easier to run as much as possible at this stage.