Projector vs Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JimMAC, Apr 1, 2004.

1. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

Trying to understand all the many choices on permanent screen types available, gains and such, along with how they are suited to certain projector types. Is there a manual/ rule of thumb somewhere for matching up projectors with screen types ?

Thanks in advance,
    Mac

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Not really. It's complicated, and subjective of course. Look for the terms reflective and retro-reflective which is important depending on what kind of setup you will use. You may want to use a gray screen with a digital to help the poor black levels.

There is lots of info out there, if you have specifics on your room situation, projector, etc that can be a better place to explain some things. Because you could write a book about screens...

3. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

Thank you Chris,

I will search on those terms, the other question I have is about the diy paint on screen. Does this work as well as a manufactured screen or once again is this purely subjective ? The problem I am having is how to sample each of the types so that it would be possible to make some sort of decision. I don't know of a "screen" showroom. I have a local resource that sells/installs ht's but I want to be educated enough to make sure they know what their doing, or at least that they are offering good advice. Maybe the ht magazine is a good resource ?

Thanks again,
    Mac

4. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

JimMAC:

Try a search for the AVS Forum ( also called AV Science ) either will get you there , after which you can check out all the various categories dealing with screens, projectors, players etc. If you can't find your answers there then I'm stumped! It is a very informative site that offers a wealth of info that can really help you to make a decision - and trying to find the best screen for a particular application can be frustrating. Of course, in my case I ended up using blackout cloth for my Panasonic AE500 - and for what I paid I doubt I could do much better. Not that there aren't better screens out there its just a case of price vs performance - assuming cost is a factor as it is for most of us! Have fun. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Brent

5. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

Brent, yes you are correct the AVS forum has a wealth of information on screens. From what I read the DIY method seems to save quite a bit of cash and will probably be the method I choose as I have other equipment I would like to put the $ into. A lot of references to the material being sold on ebay, some consider it better than Joann's blackout cloth and still quite cheap. It's hard to believe with the price of some manufactured screens that they should be 10 times better ?

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

What type of screen to use pretty much depends on your ambient lighting and viewing angles. For most apps a 1.0 gain screen (like blackout cloth) is fine. Higher gain is for minimizing the effects of ambient light, or when you don't need the extra viewing angle and want extra brightness. (Or so I've gathered...)

The grey screen theories for digital pjs are interesting, but after reading, it seems that most of the advanced users don't advocate grey. It does make black detail better supposedly, but at the expense of color. Some people do swear by grey, but the really knowledgable folks don't seem to really advocate it.

Although stuff called Screen Goo is recommended for painting/DIY screens...

I'm finally working on a DIY screen right now. Still need to get my hands on a heavy duty staple gun to secure the cloth with and I should be done.