Projector that is good with ambient light???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ramon O. Valera, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera Stunt Coordinator

Hey,

My wife and I will start building our HT within a month. We are leaning towards a projector, but because she hates being in total darkness, we need something that can work with a little bit of ambient light. Our budget is 2000. Any recommendations?

On a sidenote, rainbows or screendoor...what is worse?

Thanks!
    Ramon

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Your options are: a bright digital projector front-mounted, or any kind of projector in a rear-projection setup.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Rainbows or screendoor? Bit of a subjective topic but for me, screendoor is worse as it takes away from the experience of being at the cinema.

For a start, you may consider a Sony HS20 on your list. I will add other contenders later.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, anything with rainbows (DLPs) will also have screendoor. IMO screendoor on digital, or fixed pixel displays are much more annoying than rainbows. However, that's evident in my preferences....

5. Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera Stunt Coordinator

what about the BenQ PB7200?

6. JeffMU

JeffMU Auditioning

I have the sony hs20. Although we have black-out blinds on the windows, we have watched television without closing the blinds and the expreince is fine, but I would want to watch football or a movie. The room has recessed ligthing on dimmer switches, allowing us to use the lower settings to be able to see enough, but not detract from the visuals.

7. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Based on a similar situation, my research, and the recommendations of 2 projector sellers, I just bought the BenQ 8220. But it does not arrive until next week, so I can't tell you how the picture looks. But BenQ is at least worth a look.