What's new

Projector suggestions? I'm STUMPED! (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
That first link is a business projector, not really designed for home theater use. Just because it will accept HDTV signals does not mean it can do them justice. Don't get it!

I would suggest that you go to TigerDirect.com and get the Samsung/Joe Kane Productions SP-H710AE DLP projector before they're all gone. It originally sold for $12,000.00 and is available there for less than $900.00, with full 2 year factory warranty. That projector looks better than the vast majority of current PJs on the market, including five-figure models. Joe Kane has been proving it in trade shows over and over again, all over the world. I have one in my by-appointment demo theater and love it. Yes, I bought it from Tiger Direct and have purchased many various pieces of equipment from them (computer stuff mostly) over the last 7 years. I know of no better deal on truly reference quality video currently anywhere in the universe!

If you miss their limited quantity, the Costco deal is a viable alternative for your budget. Don't hesitate on the Samsung.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the great advice/suggestions.

That does look to be a great projector, unfortunately, tigerdirect.ca is needed for us poor Canucks, and they don't seem to have it. :frowning:

But the costco deal may soon be ordered!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
try to figure out a way to get the Sammy...perhaps a 3rd party can accept it for you in the US and then forward it to you in Canada??

This is a very sweet projector and definitely not in the class of the other sub $1K units on the market.

Gregg

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Are the blacks really that good on the Samsung? Wondering how much of an improvement I'd get in color/contrast over my Panasonic AE900...

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
The Samsung has a reputation for exceptional blacks, contrast and shadow detail. Your Panasonic LCD is incapable of accurate color. The Samsung is one of the few consumer displays of any type that offers reference color. It is used in Hollywood for post production work. If you value image fidelity, this is your ticket. If you prefer distorted images, like many consumers, consider another solution.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, no, I don't think I know anyone who could forward it on. It's a shame. Maybe I'll contact tigerdirect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks