Projector showing green

Discussion in 'Displays' started by gary-C, Jul 26, 2005.

1. gary-C

gary-C Auditioning

Just received my Sharp xg-e3000u and my extron 120p interface.
    Using a breakout cable, I went from dvd component out to 120p vga in, 120p bnc rgbhv out to sharp rgbhv in.
    I switched it all on and saw some great detail, but it was all 95% green.
    Am I missing something here? (stop laughing, Im new.)
    I saw thru a search where someone else had diff equipment with similar results. it mentioned the fact that he fixed it, but didnt mention how.
    Is there any tweaking that can be done to correct this, or am I looking at buying one of those component to vga converters?
    Kinda weird.... the projector displays green just fine without a converter... seems that there should be a way to get it to display the red and blue brighter, too.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Sounds like there's a problem with the red component cable or adapter used for it. Might want to check to see if everything is connect right. If you take a component output and disconnect the red cable, you'll see something that looks similar if I understand the problem.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Somebody may be expecting YUV - the projector - when it's receiving RGB. That could account for a very green image.

Leo

4. gary-C

gary-C Auditioning

Adapter, tested and good....
    If it was expecting YUV, wouldnt it be listed in the projectors specs in the manual?

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A lot of RGBHV devices will accept (usually from a hidden soft or hard switch) YUV, RGsB, RGBS, and probably some other animals, too.

Leo

6. gary-C

gary-C Auditioning

wouldnt this ability be listed in the projectors manual? Ah well, just about to give up and use the PC to play DVD's and media. Now if I can only figure out power strip....

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The device receiving the video signal cannot tell whether it is getting component video (YUV; Y/Pb/Pr) versus RGB with sync. on green, given the same scan rate (480p, etc.). When either or both devices have the ability to send out or take in either YUV or RGB using a built in transcoder the selection will be manual.

VGA is RGB with horizontal sync. and vertical sync. separate on fourth and fifth lines. Some devices that accept VGA will also accept RGB with sync. on green via the same jacks. Accepting VGA does not imply accepting component video.

A few receiving devices with built in transcoder assume component video input if there is no signal on the H and V lines, RGB otherwise. Try unhooking the H and V lines.

If neither the source device nor the receiving device accept the other's signal, you need an external transcoder to go in between.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this to display devices and editing the title for you.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This is your problem, you are outputting component video YPbPr, and trying to put that through an RGB input. You need to use a component-video input on the projector (if available), or use an RGB output on a source, or you need to buy a transcoder to move between the two. RGB and YPbPr are different signal formats, that's why it's all screwed up. It is possible that your projector accepts component video via the RGB inputs, there may be an option change somewhere in the menus, see the manual. IT is also very possible that it does not accept component video at all. Many older projectors, especially CRT projectors, do not accept component, they just have RGB inputs.

10. gary-C

gary-C Auditioning

Right on. Tried this on the vga input instead of the rgbhv, and have no signal at all. The manual for the projector mentions nothing about being able to receive component input. Drat. Transcoder, here I come! Either that, or a new player with a VGA out.
    Thanks again for all your help

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Could you use another input, is there an s-video or composite, in the meantime at least?