Projector Selection

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarkInKC, Jul 24, 2005.

1. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

I am all but convinced to buy the Panasonic AE700, but I wanted to get you alls opinion first. It seems to me like DLP is a more "cutting-edge technology" but I have read SO MANY good things about the panny, it's hard not to be convinced. I just don't want to out of date by having an LCD.

I am using the projector in my soon to be finished basement and projecting on a wall (for now) from about 17' away, viewing distance of about 15-17', with virtually 0 ambient light.

I also heard a rumar that the AE700 or 800 is coming out relatively soon, or there will be a huge discount on the 700 in the next few weeks. Am I still making a good buy?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

the display forum will be best for this question,

don't get caught up between LCD and DLP and which is "cutting edge," that's bologna. The best display is still good old analog CRT, IMO, which is anything but cutting edge. Talking a decade old...

DLP will have higher fill factor at the same resolution, which means less SDE, but it will also have rainbows which you may object to. They drive me nuts, but I'm really picky. However, you can also get a higher resolution in LCD for the dollar, generally, than DLP. DLP will tend to have higher on/off contrast. You need to go look at the displays you are considering, or similar, and get familiar with their attributes and pick based on a knowledged perspective.

3. Chris Bruner

Chris Bruner Auditioning

I own the 700u, Its killer, the most bang for the buck. If you have the money get a $5,000 DLP. Otherwise, go with the smallest screen you can, Control the room light, call Carada and let me know about how happy you are.