Projector selection...need help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bob Elliott, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott Agent

Ok, I have more data for you guys.

I am setting up a home theater in my living room. The projector has to be 14' from the screen. The trouble is the wall where the image will be projected is small. I figured out that I can barely squeek in a 66"W by 49"Tall screen on that wall between the speakers.

I woudl like to stick with a XGA projector. what maodels should I look at for a 66" X 49" image at a 14 foot throw? I like BenQ projectors but I am open to any manufacturer.

I have photos of the room but I can't post them. If someone wouldn't meind helping me post them I woudl appreciate it.

Bob

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    So you need a long throw projector.

What budget do you have? Do you have another thread somewhere with other info?

3. Bob Elliott

Bob Elliott Agent

I would like to stay below $1500 if possible. Inknow this may not be possible so I am open to more expensive projectors.

I posted earlier this week about this. I have a picture of my living room I can't upload.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

check out the projection calc over at projectorcentral.com

the benq6200 has to short a throw for that size at 14 ft, the 6100 would just fit at 14 feet, but I think it is svga

do some searching over there and you may find the gem you are looking for.

6. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

If there is any way you can ceiling mount your projector closer than 14 feet, the BenQ8220 could work for you. It is an XGA projector and looks great. But while it is a short throw projector, I think it will throw too big an image for your needs if mounted 14 feet from the screen. I second the suggestion that you check out the distance ratios on other websites, including looking at the manuals for the BenQ projectors on BenQ's website.

7. LouAR

LouAR Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    Check out the Hitachi Home 1. It has a longer throw. While not XGA, it is native 16x9. I just got one and love it (lvg-rm 15' throw) and replacement bulbs (2000 hrs) are only $199. It has lens shift and a great zoom making placement extremely flexible. I have posted and corresponded with other Home 1 owners and all love it. It received wonderful reviews on ProjectorCentral.com (includes throw calculator and 2 user opinions) and hometheaterhifi.com (includes calibration). There is also a European version, exact same projector just using a different model number. It received great reviews over there too. You can search this forum and AVSforum to see more about this projector.

If you consider changing your front speakers to smaller ones (I use Bose -fronts on stands and rears wall mounted- but there are many small models now with awesome sound), you can probably get a wider screen. [​IMG] If you can get an extra 14" this way, you can fit a standard HDTV size 45"x80" and the Home 1 will throw this at 14'.

Check it out, it just might do the trick for you. BTW, ignore the MSRP, you can get it much lower - look around.
    HTH.
    ~ Lou ~ [​IMG] FP WOW!! [​IMG]