What's new

Projector screens? (1 Viewer)

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
Buying my first projector soon, so what do I need to know about projector screens? Basically I'm planning on a DLP projector, and I'll be watching in complete darkness in a light controlled room. I'll be sitting directly in front of the screen, so I want light to be reflected straight back at me, and not spread out. Any good sources on the net for learning about this stuff? What kind of money are we talking about for a good one?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I recommend a white screen for your situation. Proectorcentral.com is a great site to learn about screens and projectors. Also, the screen section at Avsforum.com and the screen dealers websites(Draper, Dalite, Carada). If you're talking about a fixed screen, I think they start at about $500. Pulldown screens start at about $100, but they tend to develop wrinkles.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What projector are you looking at? How big a screen?

These are all important things to consider when choosing a screen material.

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at the BENQ PE7700 (not quite set in stone though), and I'd like an image size of up to 2 meters (diagonal) but with some flexibility (is it a good idea to make the screen slightly bigger than the actual image?).

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
Still none the wiser I'm afraid. :frowning: I can't find any detailed info on the net about how to choose a screen for my needs (Projector Central doesn]'t seem to have any info on screens at all - just links to where to buy). Obviously screen type (pulldown, fixed) and aspect ratio are no brainers, and I can choose those myself based on my needs. But one site I've seen mentions there are different types of materials that are best suited for different situations. Which is best for ceiling mounted projectors? (I plan to have the projector just behind the viewing position). And how important is screen gain? I'll be watching in a dark room.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

Give David Giles a ring at Carada. He will be able to give you great advise on the right screen to go with the projector you have in mind.

I have always been under the impression that it is best to over shoot the image onto the screen. This helps to frame it out better.

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator
On a slightly different note, how easy are the screens to install? I've decided I need to go for a pulldown screen, but I've realised that I may want to move it to a different location one day. Do they need to be tightly fastened to the wall, or is there a quicker way of putting them up? Can pulldown screens be attached to the ceiling?

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Generally, screens come in a classic white material or a slightly greyish color material to help improve blacks for situations where you may be watching your projector with some ambient light, either light fixtures/recessed lights or sunlight through your window/shades. Screens are also spec'd to have a certain gain, with 1.0 being neutral, providing no increase/decrease in brightness. For your specified watching situation in a completely dark room, its probably good to go with a 1.0 or 1.4 white screen. The 1.4 gain screen would give you a slightly brighter picture, especially if the projector you eventually choose doesn't have a high light output, which is specified in lumens.

If I was to make a recommendation, I would go with a Carada Brilliant White screen (1.4 gain screen). Good luck.

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
David,

If you're talking about the Carada screens, they take orders directly from their website. Good Luck, and let us know what you decide on and your impressions.

www.carada.com

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have experience with the Da-lite High Contrast Cinema screens? I am looking at the 100" do go with a Sim2 Domino 30H.

David Payne

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I've been chatting to a guy called Rex Bittle over at Carada. He's been very helpful answering all my questions and making suggestions, and I think I've decided which screen to go for. He even said he'll make an entry in their site, when it's time for me to order, so that I can see the shipping costs to the UK at time of ordering!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks