What's new

Projector Screen Help??? (1 Viewer)

I am considering remodeling my garage and turning it into a home theater room. I am planning on getting a projector and about 110" screen. I am currently leaning towards the Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector. Just haven't had any experience with projectors and screens. I would like to put my center speaker behind the screen, thus I am looking for a good perforated screen.

Just wondering if this is a good idea. Have looked at Da-lite, Screen Research, and some website Myfilmscreen.com.

Looking for any suggestions or opinions.

Carada screens are an excellent price. But, no perforated screens. Is perforated a good idea or should I find someplace else to put my center.

Any help, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
First ... I DON'T have a microperf screen, so I'm no expert ...
I have looked at them quite a bit because I have a setup that gives me little choice but to put the CC speaker behind the screen. Here's what I found.

They are alot more expensive.

They can NOT be had in a [low cost] manual pull-down config.; the only retractable screen that can be had with microperf material is a motor-driven, tab-tensioned, $$$ version. The besxt probably comes from Stewart, but you're looking at several kilo-bucks for such a motor driven unit.
(I suspect the problem is that the microperf material is too easily subject to wrinkling when you roll it up. Wrinkles on a microperf will likely lead to cracks & tears.)

You can, however, order microperf screen material from Dalite & make your own fixed mount screen. This is lowest cost way to do. Fixed mount means you'll likely screw the screen to the wall (or hang a rigid frame from the ceiling)

My conclusion was to find a way to put the center channel speaker just below the screen center when the FP is in use.

YMMV, let me know what you find. You should contact Jason at A/V Science:

Jason Turk
Sales Manager
A/V Science, Inc./AVS Forum, Inc.
585-454-1460 x10
Call Anytime!
[email protected]

Scott

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Also, a microperf screen will lower the brightness of your image (probably by 15% - just a wild guess). With a 110" screen and a Z2, you might find it too dim as the bulb ages. YMMV.

Don't forget, that whatever is behind the screen should be as dark as possible, although the light that goes through the holes will bounce back to the screen, possibly washing out the picture!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My personal preference regarding microperf screens is for use with CRT projectors only as the interaction between the perforations and the pixels can introduce moire to the image.

moire

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks