Projector/Resolution questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Parris, Oct 27, 2002.

1. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Ok, so I'm reading more and more about the Panasonic AE-200 and I'm starting to think it might be a serious possibility for my next display upgrade.

I'd be using a HTPC in conjunction with this, of course... got a few questions.

The native resolution on the AE-200 is 858 x 484. I'm a little baffled by this, as it's not QUITE a 16:9 aspect ratio... using an HTPC i'd have access to Powerstrip and the like.. How would I go about setting everything up? Would I set Powerstrip to output 858x484? Could this even be accomplished on a Radeon board? Or would I set the resolution differently?

Also I'm perplexed as to how 4:3 material, such as my Oz or Star Trek DVDs would be handled... would Power DVD or perhaps TheaterTek just make a letterboxed image (with black bars to either side)?

Last thing would be addressing the OTHER sources... namely PS2/Xbox/Gamecube and my VCR... I would hope to be able to hook up my older 16-bit game systems and good ol' NES as well... Would it be possible to run everything through my source switcher and reciever and to my computer so that I could just get everything to the projector using just the DVI port? What exactly would I need (software AND hardware) to accomplish this?

I think that's all for now... it's late so I'm not sure... I'll just post again if I have more questions... Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You need some sort of vid input card and display software. The popular display program is DSCALER, it is a free, open source community project. In order to use Dscaler, you have to purchase a certain type of input card (it only works with a certain chipset, and the ALL-IN-WONDER input cards from ATI do not work). Dscaler was discussed quite a bit in a thread here just last week, I'd suggest a search.
    Also, you can read the FAQ over at http://www.dscaler.org/ which has plenty of details on how the software works, and what cards to look for.
    -V
    PS: John, I posted some info which you might find helpful here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...21#post1102421

3. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response and the info, Vince.