Projector refresh rates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Smith, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith Auditioning

Hi everybody, this is my first post so go easy on me. I've searched the forum archives and can't find any threads on projector refresh rates, I am also aware that specs can be misleading! I am selecting a projector to connect to a HTPC (dvi output from ATI AIW graphics card) which will be mainly used for watching dvds. As I will be connecting the pc to my home LAN, it will also be used for occassional internet gaming sessions. The game that will be played most is Quake 3, this is a fast "twitch" shooter that requires high refresh rates from a display. It is possible to disable v-synch in the game (which results in image tearing) but the faster the display, the better the picture. I know that current generation tft lcd displays still suffer from smearing when an image moves quickly. Does anyone know if this is a problem with current LCD projectors, or if DLP projectors are any better for high frame rates?

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

DLP projectors have problems with rapidly moving images, with tearing etc very much a problem.
    LCD's are usually locked at 60hz, but on the other hand a bulb lit projector doesn't really flicker since the light source glows steadily.
    Not sure how useful that is for gaming however, but I doubt it will be a problem.
    This is probably not the best forum for this in spite of the computer tie-in, there is a TV/projector forum where this might get a better reply.
    Also, one of the best projector forums around is at http://www.avsforum.com , might be worth a visit