Projector recommendations please

Discussion in 'Displays' started by jonnyMa, Mar 7, 2006.

1. jonnyMa

jonnyMa Agent

Could someone recommend me a good projector for under $2400? I assume the panny ae900 will be the choice of most but are there any other options I should be looking at or anything I should know about the ae900 before I take the plunge? Thanks.

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Johnny, it all depends on what you are looking for as far as specs. You should probably give us some details with regards to your ability to darken the room, what you will be projecting (dvd, video games, television programming), will you need an hd projector and so forth. There is a huge wealth of knowledge here so you will get answers.

3. Craig:P

Craig:P Auditioning

I have the AE900. I like it in general but with two qualifications. Large areas of one color in the image tend to shimmer and look blotchy. Enough that a friend watching a movie with me commented on it as a distraction.

Also, there's definite blur to objects in motion. If you plan to watch a lot of sports I'd look for a faster refresh rate.

I will say, the color is terrific and the resolution for slow images with 1080i signal is impressive.

Craig

4. jonnyMa

jonnyMa Agent

Of course Tommy sorry about that(I guess im a little overenthusiastic[​IMG] ). Basically its a dedicated room(14foot long 9foot wide, pretty tight) with one window which will have a curtain that can be closed over at any time so I have good control over the light and will be able to make the room pretty dark. Id say it will be about 70% film, 25% tv(sports and the sopranos[​IMG] ) and about 5% gaming(very rare really im not to big on the games but play from time to time). I will be looking for a projector that can do HD. I suppose thats it really, as far as features go im not really pushed, a big picture with good quality is really all im concerned about to be honest, anything else is a bonus.

One thing I would like though is a good bright projector as I wouldnt like to be in complete darkness all the time(especially with friends over). I must note though I will have some control over this as I expect to have lights at the screen that can be turned on and off and lights with a seperate switch over the seating meaning the screen can be dark while the seats are in light(Ill also have a dimmer).

Hope thats enough info if any more Q's please ask. Thanks.

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Keep your eyes out for some new Infocus FP's coming out. One of their DLP FP's will be 720p and be for about the price you want. It will not have lens shift but to me that is the only thing the Panny has that the IF doesn't. From the specs and from word of mouth this FP might be the next real big thing. The only issue is that it is DLP which mean RBE may be an issue with you. I do think though that it will have a 5x wheel speed though which should eliminate RBE for about 98% of the population.

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

there's a few right now in that price range.
    projectorreviews has a review of the Panasonic and compares it to others which may be helpful to you. The Optoma H72 (a dlp) sounds interesting for $2K, however some of their other projectors have experienced compromised bulb life, so i would caution anyone interested in this one to wait several months to see if this is no longer an issue. actually, issues with bulb life have become more common across several brands.

there's a new one right now that looks very promising- the Samsung 710AE. lowest i've seen it for is $3100, but it is supposed to throw out a very nice, very film like picture.
    incarnations of it have been out in very limited supply for several years now, and quite a few have been sold to the motion picture community (at several times the current street price). Samsung brought in Joe Kane (developer of the calibration disc Video Essentials and i believe one of the editors of Widescreen Review) to tweak the inital design- so, at the very least it has an impressive pedigree.

7. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Johnny, for the specs you are looking for and the lighting issues, etc. here are a few suggestions. I agree with the above posters but one word of caution for you. I was set to go DLP over LCD and went in to demo to one of the local dealers. I got a headache from the picture which did not happen with the LCD and ended up being the deciding factor for me going LCD instead.

The Epson 550 LCD is getting great reviews and the brightness is adequate for what you are looking for. Great lens shift on this baby as well.

Sanyo Z4 has quite the buzz going as well. The brightness on this one is not as great as the Epson though which might be a factor. However, 1000 ANSI Lumens may still be adequate.

If going the DLP route, the Optoma HD72 is a good choice with more than adequate brightness.

And when all said and done, the Panny AE900 is creating quite a buzz as well as a very good projector. I believe it is around the same lumens as the Z4.

8. Darryl_St

Darryl_St Extra

Your unit must be defective or your calibration or source is questionable.

With 720p HD the 900 looks great, period. No Blur.

The only blurring I've seen is when watching 480i source channels that look terrible on any display.

The 900 displays 480i (reg cable)as good as (mostly better than) any display I've seen, and at 10'wide

Darryl