What's new

Projector recommendation and setup questions (1 Viewer)

AndrewCr

Auditioning
Hi, I’m new to the forum, but a friend told me this is where the real experts are. I’m a little leery of going down to the local consumer electronics shop, because the advice there is more likely to be for the salesperson’s benefit.

I'm about to relocate a home theater and am looking for some equipment and setup advice. I have an older home and there are some interesting architectural details I would like to work with, if possible. I recognize that this may result in less-than-optimal seating area. My old setup was in a smaller room and used a wide-screen TV, but I think all the audio stuff will transfer nicely.

The room is 14' by 24', but I'd like to set up the projector to go across the short dimension (14') to take advantage of a built-in frame on one of the walls. The frame is 66" by 40" and the top is 10" from the ceiling. This dimension is wider than 4:3, but not as wide as 16:9.

I would like to use a ceiling-mounted projector, and prepare and paint the wall itself for the screen. (The room has exterior windows, so I’m planning on heavy curtains to make the room pretty dark, but not light-tight.) My budget for the projector and screen is ~$2,500.

My questions are:

What projectors do folks here recommend that might work in this application? Is it possible to define presets for the projector so that I can fill as much of the frame as possible in 4:3 and 16:9 modes? (So it fills vertically in 4:3 and horizontally in 16:9.)

What are my options for making the wall into a screen?

Am I crazy for wanting to do a project like this on this kind of budget?

Thanks in advance!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How deep is the framed area on the front wall? Personally, I would not conform my screen to fit into the wall but rather conform the wall so that my screen would fit. Since you have 14' of wall to play with and 24' of depth in the room, you have enough flexibility to accomodate a 100-110" 16x9 screen in there but it would be a bit of a shame to limit it to 40"x60".

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree with Neil. You need to use the screen on the other wall and use a much bigger screen. If you don't want to change your mind, you are wasting your money and time using a projector.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Andrew,
If you want to stay in the 66 x 40 frame, the closest you will get is a 75-76" diagonal 16:9 picture. It will be around 66W x 37H. With a 4805 projector, it would be mounted about 12' back from the screen. If you changed to the 4:3 mode, the 37"H stays the same but the width gets narrower. You clould adjust the 4:3 picture to 40"H with the lens, but not a preset button. The 4805 can be bought for around $1,000 and a DIY screen can be made for under $100 with blackout cloth, or under $200 with screen paint.
Dave

AndrewCr

Auditioning
Yes, Neil and Jim, it would be better to go the long way through the room. But, the room itself is designed differently, so I'm working with what I have. There are doors on each of the short walls, so to go that direction, I'd need to put in a retractable screen in front of one of the doors, and ensure that it would remain sealed while the room was in use.

The frame that I'm looking at is not recessed, rather there's a bit of moulding on the wall that forms it. There are moulding frames throughout the room -- most of them go from floor to ceiling and are aren't suitable. The one I have in mind is as described above and "suggests" a screen.

It's possible (and maybe reasonable) to put a home theater in a 14' square room. I'm looking at it this way: assume that size room, and ignore the extra width, at least for video purposes.

Thanks, guys.

Andy

AndrewCr

Auditioning
Dave, can you point me to an (online?) resource on DIY screens? I think I'd prefer to prep and paint the wall, but I could stand to learn more about my options.

Thanks,
Andy

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Andrew,
I am currently re-doing my theater and I expect my paint to arrive today. Do a search for "Screen Goo" and you should find the information your looking for.
Here is my old theater that was 12'w x 14'd
Dave

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Andrew, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but can you possibly do away with 1 of the doors? You're saying you have 2 doors leading into the same room? By the way, GOO screen paint is WAY OVERPRICED. Check out the DIY Screen section at Avsforum.com. I used Behr Ultra Pure White, eggshell finish for my screen(DLP projector) and it is great. Before that I used a blackout cloth screen, but it was too dull white.

AndrewCr

Auditioning
Sorry for my slow reply. Here are some pictures of the room in question: here (the forum won't let me post a link because I'm still a newbie.) The door with all the windows behind it will have a blackout curtain, which can be opened and closed. The other doors lead into the house, which can be darkened.

Yes, I know the pictures are crummy -- I took them in a hurry. They should give an idea of how this is going to work. With curtains drawn (windows and door) the room will be dark and suitable as a theater. With curtains open, it should be a serviceable living room.

Dave & Jim: thanks for the screen-paint Info.

Andy

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator

This isn't true at all. From about 12 feet away, you'll be happy with up to about a 90" screen on an Infocus 4805. A NINETY INCH SCREEN. Granted, that's not 110", or anything like that, but it's so much bigger (and better) than any RPTV you are going to find for a fraction of the cost. At anything over 50-60", a projecter makes good sense.

I second the advice against the Goo. There is too much info over at avsforum that suggests there are better options depending on your light control, projector brightness, etc.

AndrewCr

Auditioning
Thanks Brian.

It will actually be about a 75" screen, which still isn't too shabby. Plus, when it's not in use it doesn't take up any floor footprint which helps me make it a multi-use room.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks