What's new

Projector recomendations (1 Viewer)

JustinMac

Auditioning
Hey all,
My addition to my home is currently being built(including an awesome theater :D). I'v been doing some product shopping and I'm squared away on all of the HT equipment except a projector. I definitely do not want a CRT projector because of the size. I'm looking for a DLP or an LCD projector. Can anyone here please recomend a good projector? I want a quality one that I won't have to worry about.

Sharp 12000 DLP projector. Very good reviews of this product--I think Greg Rogers did one in Widescreen Review. Street price about 70% of retail, which would be within your budget. HD2+ chip.

I'm a CRT front projector guy, personally, but this is a nice projector, by all accounts.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, after just having taken part in the CRT shootout with a sharp 12K, I was impressed very much so. Certainly some faults from my perspective, but also some definite pluses as well. Similar HD2+ units would be very nice indeed.

JeromeB

Agent
Chris,

Would greatly appreciate if you could further elaborate on the Sharp 12000. I am interested in a projector at the 5-7k range which would include the Sharp. I hear complaints about loud fan noise. Thus I am planning on mounting about 2 feet behind the seating. Sounds like most projectors, except some standouts such as Marantz, do not have a sealed lens, and dust may accumulate over time. Is this a problem? Any recommendations at 5-7K?

While I am at it, is there any benefit to a fixed wall screen vs. an electric in regards to image quality/uniformity. In other words, do hanging screens (tentioned are out of my price range) have a tendancy to be uneven/undulating?
Thanks,
-jb

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
-jb

I find it interesting that you are willing to spend within a $2k price variation for your projector (well above entry level) but $2500+ tensioned screen is out of your budget. Sounds to me like you are headed towards an Onkyo receiver with Radio Shack speakers or a Ferrari with generic tires. Exaggeration intended. of course, many prefer DIY screens too.

If you haven't already, you might go browse the "screens" forum over at avsforum.com Loads of good info there.

Continued good wishes and I hope you do not misinterpret my well intentioned facetiousness. ;)

~ Lou ~ :D FP - WOW!! :D

JeromeB

Agent
Lou,

Excellent point and I appreciate your incite. I guess the question is, confining our discussion to the video aspect of HT (using DVI input), where is the 2k best spent. I assume a fixed flat screen is as good as an electric tensioned screen which costs 2.5x as much (of course you are paying for the esthetics of being able to hide the screen and use the room for other purposes). So I am starting with the premise that a fixed flat screen is the ultimate in quality or the equivalent. Now if I take a step backward to a non-tensioned electric screen, will I have any measurable decline in viewing quality? I assume the answer is, as with anything, in the eye of the beholder, and a personal preference.

Regards,
-jb

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator

I agree! I am in the entry level and MUST have a raising screen. I would get tensioned if it were in my budget, assuming I did not have dedicated space. I went with Dalite HCMW manual Model C (For use with my LCD PJ) but ran into some complications and replacing with cosmo electric.

On the other hand, most DIY'ers posting wouldn't dream of anything else. From what I have read, these are - or certainly can be - the absolute least expensive of all.

Best wishes!
~ Lou ~ :D FP - WOW!! :D

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm not the 12K expert, I was just there. There were two long BLOGs on AVS, and there are lots of discussions of the HD2+ units in the >3500 digital forum which im sure will answer all your questions. As a "CRT-guy" I guess you could say, I was definitely impressed with the sharp, the blacklevels were good, not there yet, but very good, and it was an awesome picture. Rainbows were annoying to me, especially after re-viewing in a proper all-black room; your mileage will vary. The 3dimensionality was nice, but not quite CRT-like. OVerall, nod still goes to 8in LC crt IMO, but then again, the 12 is a LOT easier to deal with and set up than a CRT.

Here are some links, there's tons more stuff, darinp has the 12k and knows what he's talking about you can search around his zillions of posts and youll get lots of info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=366995

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=363820

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks