Projector Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lucas_F, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Lucas_F

Lucas_F Auditioning

I recently saw a home theater set-up and it was amazing. So now I'm looking for something for myself. I have everything picked out except for the projector. So, I would appreciate some reccomendations.

Uses for Projector:

- Movies from my DVD player.
    - XBOX
    - Cable TV

I do have an external video scaler, so Im not really worried about the internal scaler quality of the projector.

2. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

what size screen do you want?

3. Lucas_F

Lucas_F Auditioning

100" I sit about 15 ft. away

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Next question is how much can you spend? Also, how well controlled is the light in the room.

5. Lucas_F

Lucas_F Auditioning

sorry i left out some of the details, im just a noob. i have about $1300 to spend. and light is very well controlled.

6. Travis_R

No problem Lucas thats what this forum is here for, I would Recommend the Infocus SP4805, Especially since you are going to be playing games on it, the 4805 is a DLP and there is little to no chance of burn in on a DLP Projector, I have seen one in action on a 100" screen and was very Impressed, when I complete my theater it is what I am buying as I also will be using my PS2 and watching movies

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Would you consider used? There are quite a few used CRT's out there and while they have their weaknesses they will deliver much better picture than the (entry level) digital projectors.

8. Lucas_F

Lucas_F Auditioning

no, because the reason im going to buy a digital projector is due to a broken CRT projector. I actually have a home theater set-up, except for the projector. But I still know very little about "digital" projectors. I dont want the 4805, due to its native 16:9. I want a native 4:3 projector.

9. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Funny, that's why I passed on X1 at $699 for a second setup, due to it being 4:3. Why 4:3? If you are mainly watching DVD's then a native 16:9 would be my choice. If EDTV then I'd consider 4:3.

I was considering moving from CRT projector to digitals in the same price range that I would have been able to sell mine, $1500. That's where the 4805 is and it was one of the projectors I reviewed. I can say that if you're coming from a CRT projector, you will be disappointed in that price range. I ended up keeping my 480i CRT.

10. Lucas_F

Lucas_F Auditioning

i want a 4:3 projector because my screen is 4:3, plus I like it better (don't ask). I have actually seen a DLP projector and am very impressed with what it could do. Forgot which one though.

11. Travis_R

Lucas I can understand you wanting a 4:3 Projector, I have a few friends that hate widescreen cuz of the bars and such, but IMHO in a few more years almost everything you watch is going to be in widescreen format video games included, and eventually 4:3 will be as obsolete as VCR's have become, im not trying to talk you out of gettin a 4:3 projector, just something to think about when makin your purchase, a 16:9 will throw any 4:3 you got better than a 4:3 can throw a 16:9 and a DIY screen is not very expensive