Projector questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Aug 30, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

2. TimG

TimG Second Unit

If you are interested in a digital projector, you owe it to yourself to check out the AVScience forum. Here is a link to the under $5000 forum, read up and then make a decision.
    www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
    TimG

3. MichaelGomez

I have already posted on their site and no answers.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

5. MichaelGomez

Thanks for the link.

Basically, I can hook it up to my receiver right? I don't need the Computer?

Right now I am using a Panasonic 32" tau with the s-video running to the monitor out on the receiver. Then all of my ocmponents are hooked into my reveiver and it is used as a video switcher.

This is what I would like to accomplish with the Projector.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Well, I generally don't suggest using a switcher like a receiver because of the quality loss (except the likes of the Denon AVR5803 and Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX), but if S-video is ok with you, then it probably doesn't matter. You are really missing out if you're not at least going component video from DVD to projector though.

7. Greg Foan

Greg Foan Stunt Coordinator

Consider the Panasonic TH-AE100. I use my Onkyo receiver as a video switcher for my S-VHS & laserdisc and satellite dish (non-HD) and feed it into a HTPC (computer), where it is de-interlaced and scaled, then out to the projector by VGA connector. You can get the projector (from Japan) and a custom-built HTPC (from USA) for about $2500 USD. The HTPC serves as a dvd player, tivo-like recorder, MP3 juke-box etc...... and the image blows the doors off of almost any RPTV.....and I'm using a homemade 8 foot screen.....HDTV looks amazing (dish 6000) when fed thru at 720P....even though the 16:9 / 856 X 484 resolution is rather modest.
    Cheers,

8. DanH

DanH Auditioning

Go back to AVS forum and read the threads in the digital projectors section and run searches on the projectors you're interested in. The LP350 is obsolete for HT use. It has a slow color wheel which results in a significant number of viewers seeing rainbow artifacts.

Dan