Projector Questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Franklyn, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Franklyn

Franklyn Auditioning

I am thinking of getting a front projector to replace my RPTV but I have some questions. What is the best way to get the video signal to the back of the room (approx 22 ft.)? I can't move the gear. I want to switch everything through my AVR if possible. Do/can I get a long component cable? What about composite/s-vid sources ([email protected] changer), do I need to convert them to component (scaler or Denon AVR)so I only need one cable. What about DVI or other options? When I read about screen size are those numbers the diagonal? Do you effectively get a better picture if you don't "blow" up the screen size as much? Are DLP projectors DIY mountable? If not, what is a ballpark figure by a pro? Thanks for any help.

2. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    HDMI and DVI extra-long cables are available from AV-Cables.com. They can run as long as 30 feet, and cost two hundred bucks or more. I have been looking into this for my own purposes, as I have all my equipment behind my audience, and don't want to have to remote-control a bunch of units that are twenty feet away from me.

3. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Franklyn,

I have the Infocus 4805 and I am running two cables right now from my equipment in the front of the room, above the ceiling, to the projector. My pre/pro doesn't upconvert so I have to run a composite cable from my VCR to the 4805. I also run a component cable from the pre/pro to the projector. There's still room for an S-video cable, and whatever I can plug into the M1 port. Basically, what I'm trying to illustrate is that the projector you buy will determine what cables you can run, or have to convert. Most likely, you'll have plenty of options on whatever models you like.

As an aside, I bought my 50' component cable from PCCables.com and found their prices to be very good. As for the composite cable, I used an RG6 cable with RCA connectors on the ends.

What are you referring to when you say "read about screens"? Reveiws, other posts, ads? The majority of the time, the diagonal is what is being referred to.

And the size of the picture you can get before the PQ degrades depend on many different factors. The projector's native resolution, the source material, the light output, ambient light, the projector's throw ratio, how far back you are sitting from the screen, etc. I can say that when I had my X1, if I blew it up bigger than my 92" screen, the screendoor started to become very noticeable at 11 feet (where I sit).

And you can DIY mount any projector. The digital models will be a easier to mount because they're lightweight, as opposed to CRTs. However, you can still DIY mount a CRT, but you will need help as they weigh a lot. I guess it depends on how handy you are.

If you click on the the link for my home page, I have a section on mounting my X1 with pictures. That might give you an idea of what to expect. It wasn't too bad at all.

I hope that helps you somewhat,
    George

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes, the screen dimension number is diagonal for 4x3 screens or in 16x9 screens as well.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

actually, I would hesitate, when it comes to TVs and such that's the case,but I always refer to screens especially 16:9 ones with their horizontal length, and the AR. It's clearer to me anyway, and it seems that many people measure the width, so in any case just make sure you know what the number is that someone is talking about.