Projector questions or how bright should it be?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam Demuth, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

I am currently planning a HTPC and a slowly building a HT audio system. Currently the computer will have component out and composite/s-video out, no DVI. Currently we have an old 27" TV that absolutely has to go! The color is washed out and and the picture is blurry, and does not even have a video in (we only paid $40 for it 4 years ago, I can't knock it too much) Anyway, coming up in December, My employer will be giving me a $1,250 credit towards equipment purchase at Dell. I was looking around and saw that I can buy several projectors for around $1,250. How well would one of these bode as a HT projector?

Let me put into perspective my HT setup plans. Currently, my budget is around $1000 on audio, all speakers will be/have been DIY, so if everything turns out as it should, I will have a decent sounding system. The room is 13' x 16', and the viewing position will be the long way. I'm not too worried about ambient light, I still have my rubberized curtains from my darkroom that should take care of a good deal of the outside light [​IMG]. I am not really going for a perfect image quality, I am just worried about brightness/contrast of the screen. I realize that you sacrifice brightness and contrast when you go with a projection system and unless you have an uber-projector, it will never be a contrasty as a CRT set.

Will I be able to get a decent projector for (preferably under) $1,250? If I don't buy a projector, I will probably buy a laptop from then and buy another CRT, probably a bit bigger, but not by much. Do you think these lower end projectors would cut it or should I just admit I am not dedicated enough to buy an good enough projector and just get a new TV?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You could get a used CRT projector for about a grand, that would probably be much better PQ-wise than a cheapo digital from dell, although it may not *quite* have the resolution, it should be PLENTY fine for DVD. This matches with an HTPC very well, although you must realize CRT projectors are a project, though that you are into DIY audio stuff, it's probably not too big a deal. You'll have to spend a little bit of time learning it, but it's not really that hard.

If this sounds like a good path for you, i can point you towards TONS of more info.

As for this credit at dell, i mean, he's not just giving you that money, is he? I assume, a grand at dell, or somewhere else would still cost you a grand no? If there are other incentives (tax writeoff) for going dell, then you might have to go with a cheaper CRT to match the value, for instance.

3. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

It's not 1k straight out, we order at the same time that IT orders new computers, we get same discount as when corp purchases computers (ends up being about %20). It's taken out over the next year from my paychecks, no interest. Also, it's a tax deductable purchase. It's not that great of a deal, but it allows me pick up a little something that normally wouldn't. It was just a fleeting thought, and everyone up here is so helpful and knowlegeable I though I'd run it by you all(I realized after I posted it that I didn't post it to the "Displays" thread)

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I'll move it to displays and chime in later.