Projector questions cable and image

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by russell>b, Feb 18, 2004.

1. russell>b

russell>b Auditioning

I just bought a Tevion (aldi) DLP Projector ... all I could afford at present.

It seems to be a single chip DLP projector, prob not the current generation as you do get a fair bit of rainbow effect with DVD's and action. But for the price AUD $1,500 (about 1/2 of what we would otherwise have to pay) it's bearable.

My question is: it's a native 4:3 (yeh I know bummer not native 16:9) but you can choose 4:3 or 16:9 mode.

The projector seems to throw a faint square/rectangle of light and then in the centre is the 16:9 image ... ie. above and below the 16:9 image you see a top and bottom very faint light .. is this normal ?

Also it is cheaper for me to buy 3 x 10m runs of single Video 750hm RCA (about $150 AUD cheaper) to make up the 3 video component cables.. instead of buying the all in one component cable is this OK or there something different with the all in one 75ohm comnponent cables

thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

"The projector seems to throw a faint square/rectangle of light and then in the centre is the 16:9 image ... ie. above and below the 16:9 image you see a top and bottom very faint light .. is this normal ?"

Yes, digital projectors cannot create black, so you might look into masking your screen if you find this distracting.

3x video cables are the same as component cables. Any 75ohm cable will do for video. Component cables are just bundled/sold together 3 video cables. Radio shack sells pretty good and cheap cables, beyond that, pro grade cables from someone like heartland.com or bluejeanscable.com would be good, though I think basic stuff should do you fine in your situation.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer