Projector Problems Suggestions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tyson Burchak, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Tyson Burchak

This is the second projector I've tried out. The first was a Mitsubishi xd3000u that I had to return do to rainbow issues. I only had a hour to make up my mind on the HC3 in order to receive a full refund so I didn't mess around with fine tuning it. I had the projector 15' from the wall, and I was sitting 12' from the screen. I put in LOTR: Fellowship and the picture looked pretty good, which it should since it's a reference quality disc. When I put in some lower quality discs/signals the problems really came through. I put in a copy of Elite's Eaten Alive by Tobe Hooper. Pixelation and graininess was a constant. I also noticed lots of jagged edges in the picture, especially around people's fingers. I was like the projector was struggling to hold the image together. I was half expecting it to break apart into a thousand digital shards. This was disappointing, but when I put in a lasers I almost puked. I put in the Definitive Edition of Star Wars, a pretty high quality disc. When I watched this same disc with the xd300u it looked almost as good as any DVD I own, but in the HC3 the image was terrible. I tried both s-video and composite inputs and there was no difference. The image looked like what you'd see from a VHS copy of a poor cable signal. It looked horrible, plus the fan's loud. Now I'm faced with a dilemma. I believe LCD is an inferior technology and don't want to invest in it, but with DLP's I see rainbows, and I don't want to spend $4000. So I'm sitting here clueless without a TV. Any ideas about what I can do? Other projector options besides CRT?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What is your budget? What are you using as a dvd player? Interlaced or progressive?

More info is needed. I believe a judgement on LCD cannot be fairly made based on the info at hand.

3. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest a Z2 and a HD931. Total together would be about $2,289

by the way...LOTR is by far not a "reference" DVD. I would try "Nemo" or "Once upon a Time in Mexico." Or even Underworld.

4. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I have a LCD projector, and I find the picture to be acceptable. I want to invest in a DLP projector. I have looked at the Sharpvision and the Marantz; and I have found those projectors to be worthy of my $. I haven't seen any rainbow effects on DLP projectors. I do however, see them on my LCD projector. But, it is only distracting when the movie is not anamorphic. There is a Sanyo PL70, that is a HDTV projector with a DVI-D connection. I was told this connection really makes the difference in Picture Quality. I have seen this advertised as low as $3999. So, I guess the final question is; "How much are you going to spend?"

5. Curt Luther

Curt Luther Stunt Coordinator

I would not make that judgement on LCD until you have seen one working that is properly set up. I was at a local AV store yesterday and saw the Sony HS20 in play right next to a Runco $10K unit and struggled to see the big difference. The image on the LCD was crystal clear and color was great even when I stood only 5-6' from the screen.

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Here's some projectors to check into:

BenQ PB6100 -- 2000:1 contrast ratio DLP with a 3x color wheel. (The faster the color wheel, the fewer "rainbows" will be evident.)
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-PB6100.htm
    Street price is around $1000.00.

Infocus Screenplay 4805 --- The "guts" of the outstanding Infocus X1 projector (complete with Faroudja DCDI processing), but with a native 16:9 DLP chip and a 4x color wheel. It won't be available until March, but it should be worth the wait. Street price will be around $1400 and it'll be available at outlets like Best Buy and Circuit City. Unlike the Infocus X1, which is sold at those stores as a computer accessory, the 4805 will be sold as a Home Theater Projector.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...nPlay_4805.htm

Sanyo PLV-Z2 - This is a 3 panel LCD projector, but with a 1300:1 contrast ratio and XGA resolution.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/sanyo_plv_z2.htm

I, personally, own an Infocus X1 DLP projector (2000:1 contrast ratio, native 4:3 DLP chip with a 16:9 mode, 2x color wheel) and love it, but I seem to be immune to the "rainbow effect".

By the way, even people that can detect the effect can usually live with the X1 if the picture is not too big or too bright. If the picture is "too big" such that you have to move your eyes from one side of the screen to another in order to follow the action, you'll almost always notice the effect. Keep the screen size at around 96" in a 16:9 configuration and view it from at least 10 feet back, and I think you'll find that the effect will be vastly reduced.

7. Tyson Burchak

I think it's impossible, scientifically speaking, to see rainbows with a LCD. My budget is $2000 to $2500. I'm using a Sony S7000 DVD player interlaced into the component input. There really wasn't a whole lot to adjust with the HC3. At least not enough to eliminate the major problems it had. I can pretty much guarentee there is no way to make a Laserdisc look good on the HC3. I don't want to buy an external line doubler. As far as I know using bright animated DVD's like Nemo is about the worst thing to use when analyzing a projector that's why AV stores always have it playing, scenes like the Mines of Moria will really bring out any flaws. The faster spinning DLP's are out of my price range so I put in an order for a Panny L500, and if that doesn't work I might try the Sony h20, and if that doesn't work I'm going to just draw pictures on a dry-erase board. Are there any cheaper 4x Dlp's out there?

8. Joseph Bolus

As indicated in my post above, the new Infocus 4805 will feature a 4x color wheel and will "street" for around $1400.00. It also features the outstanding Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer circuitry which should make your LD's shine. The problem is, it probably won't be available until late March and it sounds like you need something now.

And if that's the case, the LCD-based Sanyo Z2 is probably the best bet within your budget. The onboard scaling and de-interlacing circuitry, while not as good as the Infocus 4805, is reported to be "acceptable" for good quality interlaced sources.

9. Tyson Burchak

The problem I see with the Infocus 4805 is its low pixel count.

10. Joseph Bolus

It's been my experience that a well designed SVGA DLP projector can compete fairly well with a XGA LCD based system. This is due to the fact that DLP provides much better "pixel fill" than LCD does.

For example, to me, the Sanyo Z2, a XGA-based LCD machine, provides a projected picture that's only marginally better (from a pixellation perspective) than my SVGA-based DLP X1 projector. And the X1 still provides better contrast.

In any event, according to this review at Projector Central, the Panny L500 that you've ordered will probably serve you well:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sany...ic_pt_L500.htm

11. Tyson Burchak

I hope it serves me well. I'm getting tired of losing shipping money.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I have an X1 but suffer from intense rainbowing on it in any scenes with white in them - especially white and black(2x RGBW wheel in the X1). I hunted around and found an a/v shop in the area (actually about 30 minutes away where I got to college). Demoed a Marantz DLP in a REAL Theater room - holy &*@#(@ was it cool. Salesman didn't know the wheel speed but I looked it up later - 5x wheel (6 segment RGBRGB). No rainbows. Eyed up the Samsung DLP RPTVs - rainbows only if I try REAAAAAAAAAAALLLY hard. Another 5x based system.

I felt safe ordering a 4x projector at that point. I will be returning the X1 in a couple of weeks back to Circuit City (unless I miraculously adjust to the rainbows - I have somewhat, but I can tell I won't all the way).

I've never liked the blacks on LCDs or LCD RPTVs (sorry LCD guys). I like DLP's advantages - less screen door effect, better blacks.

I pre-ordered the new Infocus 4805 @ Crutchfield - they're taking pre-orders for $1299 but didn't have a release date yet (although I've heard March 1st and Apr 1st rumored on avsforum). Hoping for March 1st.