Projector positioning?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Ki, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mike Ki

Mike Ki Agent

I've ordered an infocus sp 4805 and am planning on setting it on a shelf about 7 feet off the floor in an in wall unit. Will the picture still be "aligned" properly or should it be inverted when it's that high off the floor? Or will the display be alright sitting that high off the ground on a shelf?

Does anyone else have there projector that high not being ceiling mounted? No problems?

Also does anyone have all there A/V equipment set up behind them in a wall unit? Any problems?

Thanks Mike

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I really don't know anything about the 4805, but I'm pretty sure you will have to invert it if you plan on mounting it that high.
    This projector, has an offset (I think) so at 7' it would be projecting onto your ceiling.

There are a lot of 4805 owners on this site, I'm sure someone will chime in.

3. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

You'd have to point it down at an extreme angle and seriously degrade the image by keystoning the heck out it. Mount it upside down.

4. Mike Ki

Mike Ki Agent

Thanks for the info.
    So when i invert it, should I mount to the bottom of a shelf using a ceiling mount? or could I get away with just setting it upside down on something soft that would protect it?
    Thanks Mike

5. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Well, I wouldn't put it on a pillow or anything and creating a mount would not be neccessary either.

You could get away with just using 2 1x1 pieces of wood to elevate the projector off the shelf and allow for decent air circulation all around...

Cheers,

JB

6. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I didn't want to spend a fortune on mount, so I bought a 13" Tv wall mount (Lowe's). I cut the base down and drilled 3 mounting holes. I then mounted the whole thing upside down. My wife thinks it looks cleaner than other mounts that she has seen. The stand allowed me to tilt the projector to angle the picture correctly. I have a 8' ceiling and mounted the projector about 7' The top of my screen is about 1' form the ceiling.
    Dave