Projector plans/lenses on eBay... total waste of money?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_UXM, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Matt_UXM

Matt_UXM Auditioning

I'm sure you've all seen the "Projection TV $25" and it comes with a lense and some plans to project your CRT TV onto a wall or what have you. I'm wondering, does anyone actually do that, and if so, is it even remotely worth the time and money invested?

Keep in mind, I can appreciate very high quality video, but right now i'm using a 20 year old 19" TV and not getting overly irritated at the size or quality. so really, i guess, what I want to know is: is it the same quality as the source, only large, or is it distorted, washed, generally sub-par?

-matt

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

You get what you pay for. The pictures listed in these auctions do NOT come from these projectors. I recognize a few of the pictures from other sources!

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Total waste of time and money, well over the line to "fraud" because of the fake home theater shots taken off the net and showing multi-thousand-dollar systems.

I've notified eBay but they don't seem to care.

Jan

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Let's forget about them. What would be your budget for getting into front projection?

5. Matt_UXM

Matt_UXM Auditioning

my budget? between nill and zero. i'm pretty much broke. i just came across it, and was wondering. because if it was any good, i might have spent the small amount of money. but i'd have done that ONLY if i had an overwhelming response of something "yeah, they're pretty cool, still not a nice projector, but worth the little money you pay"

but i didn't... heh. and didn't expect to, either.

thanks anyway,
    -matt

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Well, look...you got time on your hands? No money? Extremely low expectations? Why not?
    The picture will be crap. It's your TV picture, blown up and projected. Same crappy resolution, same amount of light spread over a wider area, with light loss due to the lens itself and the projection surface (screen) etc.
    Does it in any way, shape or form approximate even remotely what you get from a halfway decent projector? No.
    But hell, what else are you doing? If you feel tempted and want to kill some hours and ultimately throw the whole kit-and-kaboodle into the trash, why not? I mean, it's keeping you off the streets. [​IMG]
    Jan