What's new

projector placement (1 Viewer)

jeff_c

Auditioning
Is it possible to place a 110" screen in a room 12X16? How far does the projector need to be back? Is there a forumula, So I can figure it out next time? Thanks

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure you CAN do it.... the question is "is it too big compareed to your seating distatance" use this to help:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

I have an Infocus 4805 on a 98" screen.... I sit about 11 feet back and sometimes it feels alittle too big, and i have to move my eyes around to see all of the screen... I can zoom it larger if I wanted, but i'm happy with it now.. plus i was running out of room for my Center channel

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jeff, that probably is a little too big. What would your seating distance be from screen? Screen size is based on seating distance, and the resolution of projector. With a HD projector, you can sit a little closer(1.5X screen width), than with a 480p projector(2X screen width).

jeff_c

Auditioning
i have not finalized any seating distance or screen size yet. Would a 100" be better? projector central says the projector needs to be ~16' from the screen! I'm sure I have seen them closer, perhaps they are using a zoom setting?? using the zoom or other settings would likely degrade quality right? I guess projectorcentral is the optimal placement.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Minimum mounting distance also depends greatly on the projector you are using. For example, my projector (Panasonic AE-900U) can be as close as 10 feet to get a 100" picture using the 2x optical zoom. Since it is a purely optical zoom, the picture quality should not suffer.

-Robert

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jeff, we can give you a better answer for your screen size, if we know your seating distance and projector resolution. Just for kicks, if you sit 14' back with a 480p projector, your screen size would be about 7' wide. With a 720p, it could be about 9' wide. But it depends on what you like. Are you the type who sits in the front, middle, or rear of theater? I recommend waiting on screen until you project onto wall, and see what size looks best. Zoom does not degrade image quality.

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
As Robert mentioned earlier, the projector you use will have a BIG influence on the quality of the picture and the mounting location. If you have not bought the projector, I would recommend finding the best mouting location for the projector and then by a projector that works well from that location.

Optical zoom should not distort the picture, but digital zoom could, so know the limitation of the projector before you buy it! Some projectors are also more particular about where they are mounted in relation to the screen (top, bottom, middle) - keystoning can become an issue for some. The contrast and lumens of the projector will also determine the overall picture quality.

Good Luck,
Bud

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator
I have a BENQ W10000 and they have a really cool placement calculator on their website for all of the projectors BENQ offers.

http://www.benq.com/product/projector/calculator/

It is really helpful in determing how big your screen can be based on the placement of the projector in relation to the screen. I think some other projectors on the market are more forgiving in their placement requirements, but this should help be you started.

Good Luck,
Bud

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks