What's new

Projector ownership survey (1 Viewer)

David-Wright

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david wright
I have the Sony 10HT. It is a great unit. I love the power zoom feature. That is how I handle letterboxed movies. I just zoom out until it fills the height of the screen.

My first projector was a sharp. (early model).

Good luck with your store.

I would recommend stocking projecotrs at the $1000 and $2000 price point.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I just bought the SANYO PLV-Z4 to replace my Piano HE3100. The Piano was bought about 4 years ago for $2,000. I thought that was a bargain as it was selling for $2,995 just a month before. I projected it on a wall in my home theatre room and every thought it was great. It only have 100 hours left on the bulb so I decided to buy a new projector to wacth HDTV.

I just love the SANYO PLV-Z4! Great picture! Only $1500 and they also have a free replacement bulb and screen.

Roland

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hitachi PJ TX200. I love this projector. I don't plan to upgrade until next year, unless I win the lottery. If I do upgrade within 6 months, it would be to either of the Mitsubishi HC5000BL or Sony Pearl or JVC D-ILA or the Panasonic PT AE1080. I am waiting to see these 1080p projectors in action, or to at least hear more about how the lcd projectors like the Mitsubishi 5000BL and Panasonic 1080 do against the Sony Pearl (LCOS technology sony calls SXRD).

Chris

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
The Z4 here and love it. Friend has the Sony hs50 which got me into pj's and I loved that. Of course with all the upgrades/models coming down the pike we'll see what happens.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
When I built my HT in 1999 I was looking around for a projector. At the time, CRT was king and I was seriously considering a used Barco unit in the $8-10K range. Luckily, this was the time that Sony introduced their HD native 16:9 LCD projector, the Sony VPL-VW10HT and I purchased it sight unseen (with an option to return it if it didn't live up to expectations.) It certainly did. While not providing the blacks that CRTs did at the time the positives (much lighter weight, no need to calibrate every six months or so, cheaper to maintain, etc.) greatly outweighed any negatives in my opinion. I would probably still be using it if it weren't for the fact that I won a Runco CL-710 (single chip DLP) a few years later on a Home Theater Cruise. While the Runco was a visual step up from the Sony VW10HT (better blacks) it wasn't a drop dead difference, and the price was certainly right. ;)

Then came CEDIA 2006. When I saw Sony roll out the "Pearl" (the Sony VPL-VW50) I knew that this would probably be my next projector. It's that good. The only reason I'm waiting a bit is to see if the new

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
RAF,

The Pearl has me very interested also. I am curious about the Mitsubishi HC5000BL too, and the new JVC D-ILA. The Panny 1000 is probably ok too, but I am not a fan of smooth screen, especially not at 1080p. Anyhow, I am really curious how these 4 projectors will compare. If the JVC comes out around $5K USD or less, it will be a race for sure. We need a shootout right now between the Mitsubishi and Pearl, and ultimately, between all 4, but of course, I am talking about that in another thread.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Back in 1997, I started to use my existing TV set and carefully looked around for a suitable projector. I tried one of the first DLP processors - very good picture already! - but as it appeared, I happened to be one of those people who is very much distracted by the dreaded rainbow-effects of the first types (slower colour-wheel). So instead I chose the predecessor of the projector RAF mentions: the Sony VPL-400W (the NTSC/PAL/Secam version).

It has a special non-rectangular grid, and I'm still in awe sometimes looking at the beautiful film-like image it projects.
Yes, I'm still using that one. A rather extensive reconstruction in my home also encompasses a brand new Home Theater room. It should have been ready last year, but there were some delays and I'm glad now I can incorporate HD support (and HDMI cabling, etc.).

Until about August, I had been looking at the new 3-chip DLP projectors. My plan was to get the newest Sim2 HD projector, they're made in Italy, and a projector isn't something you want service for from far away. Expected price: around $15.000 - $25.000, depending on the features.

As I said: until August, because that was when RAF informed us about the new Sony Pearl. No need to say it could very well be the natural successor to my 400W, so I'm really excited about this one. Now I'm anxious to read more about it (especially hands-on reviews!) and then I will need to wait until it is marketed here in Europe, but I guess (and hope) that may be weeks rather than months.

Cees

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Cees,

Don't forget to give the D6 C2fine lcd's a chance. Those are just as much the offspring of the Sony 400, in that they are still lcd projectors. As is always the case, wait and see how all of these projectors compare before deciding...or, take a chance and just dive right in. I doubt any of the 4 pj's I have mentioned would leave you seriously disappointed. Just think of the HUGE upgrade in store for you! :cool:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Chris,

I still have a few months left to finally decide, and I will leave no option (I'm aware of) un-considered. :)
Thanks.

Cees

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While the new 1080p LCD projectors compare favorably with the LCoS models in terms of three chip sources (thus no color wheel, etc. of 1 chip DLPs) there is still the presence of the "screen door" effect with LCDs. I understand that this can have little, if any, effect on the picture at normal viewing distances (I speak as a former owner of the Sony VW10HT LCD projector) but I have yet to see any LCD projector that looks as good as an LCoS device. Is it because of the "screen door" or is it for another reason? In any event, I didn't see any LCD projectors at CEDIA that could match the Pearl for blacks and picture.

As to the "upcoming" JVC model, I got the distinct impression that JVC rushed their prototype "budget" LCoS front projector to Denver in answer to Sony rolling out the Pearl. While the picture looked good to me they refused to answer any questions regarding final features (such as support for 1080p/24, etc.) I even attended a "shootout" with the Sony VW100 (The "Ruby") in which the prototype JVC clearly outperformed the Sony, especially in the area of contrast ratio. This test was set up by JVC at the last moment and they used the Ruby because they said they couldn't get access to a Pearl. I assume that Sony wasn't cooperating with JVC for this shootout. One very knowledgeable person in the audience asked about the iris setting on the Sony during the shootout and they were told that it was set to "On" - supposedly to level the playing field since the JVC, we were told, doesn't offer iris control. Unfortunately, JVC representatives conveniently failed to mention that when the Ruby (and I assume the Pearl) is set to "Auto" iris this just about doubles the contrast level of the display and would have completely changed the outcome of the "shootout." In my opinion, Sony's gun in the shootout didn't have any bullets because JVC chose to leave them out!
:D

Seriously, the final JVC might be a great product when it's finally released (rumor has it in "1st Quarter 2007" so that can mean quite a long time from now) but without knowledge of its final price and performance it's really a shot in the dark. Any of the four projectors mentioned recently will produce a fine picture for the money (assuming the JVC moves from prototype to projector with all promised features and performance). But right now, based on what I saw, I favor the Pearl's picture and features at the

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I think the bigger interest for now is how the Mitsubishi HC5000BL and Pearl compare.

Tom Pfarr

Agent
I had a Sony 10HT for six years. Nothing over the years made me want to upgrade even though the black performance could have been better. The resolution and performance of the 10HT with HD material was great.

I just recently upgraded to the Pearl and could not be happier. I've got 60hrs on it already and the performance is outstanding. For the price I don't believe anything will compare in total performance. I'm particularly pleased with absolutely no issues with HDCP/HDMI connections. As noted in the AVS forum "pixel peepers" reviews the video processing in the Pearl seems to be outstanding as well, much improved apparently from the Ruby.

Sony hit a home run and then some with this unit. The industry certainly has to scramble to compete. All the better for the consumer.

Now only if the "Evil" Sony would drop the Blu-Ray fiasco and get with the HD-DVD program life would be balanced once again......

Tom Pfarr

Agent

All of the above. I have an MCE htpc for analog cable, OTA HD and DVD upconversion playback over DVI/HDMI.

I also have a Toshiba XA1 HD-DVD player over HDMI/HDMI that also upconverts DVD extremely well.

HD-DVD quality is top of the heap, very closely followed by OTA HD. Upconverted DVD is very close to this except for resolution loss and obviously NTSC cable is last but still watchable which is amazing in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks