projector or tv?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JoelP, Jan 12, 2004.

1. JoelP

JoelP Auditioning

I'm in the process of building a home and would like some advice on what to get for the den. I already have wife approval for up to $3K for the display. The room is 13x15 and the display will be slightly off center on one of the 15' walls. I would like a large screen, but it's a small room and I don't want the television to be the dominant feature (except when I'm watching it!). I was thinking in the range 36"-42", but am open to suggestion as it is hard for me to visualize how large it will be in the room.

My first instinct was the Sony 34" XBR, but I feel like it will shrink the room significantly since it is >2' deep. Flat panels seem out of my price range, and after reading this board I thought maybe a projector would be the answer if it could be mounted discretely. I've been back and forth a few times and decided I need suggestions.

This will be the primary TV for the house where the breakdown is 20% DVD, 30% gaming, and 50% regular TV viewing (w/ ~8 HD channels). Please let me know if any other information would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

JoelP

2. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

Your Room size is almost the same size as mine. I went with the Sanyo Z2 after returing a LCOS set. I will never by a TV again! Since you projector will be off-center, the Sanyo will be a perfect fit, due to the fact that it has a manual Vertical and Horizonal lens shift.

You want a large screen? I have a 13' throw and have a 111" display. If I turn the zoom up, I could go larger. But I wouldn't recommend that.

PS. $1995 pricetag from AVP.

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Hold on DuWayne ... of course you feel strongly about the advantages of FP, but you may be jumping to conclusions to fast for Joel's situation.

Joel says it's for the Den (= family room, I'm guessing) with significant use time for regular TV & V-gaming. There are still good, legitimate arguments as to why people choose TV vs FP. I have both and will for a long time to come. In the room where the wife & kids click on the TV and leave it on for 4 hrs a day, I DON'T want FP. I want room lights on and shades up during the day. I also want 1-button on & 1 remote for the family. Yes, of course, you do get that with FP, but it's more complicated.

I'd say a 42"-50" 16:9 RPTV is the way to go right now. The real question is ... what technology. I expect 2H-2004 to bring major price drops for RP-LCD, RP-DLP & LCD-panel. Whats $3K today, may be

4. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I was until yesterday in a similar position and with the same budget. I was really torn between a Samsung DLP RPTV and a DLP FP. I decided to go with DLP because it does not have the burn-in and pixel issues that plasma and LCD have. But the 50" Samsung sets seemed to be over $3,000.

I finally decided to buy the BenQ 8220 DLP FP, which even with a 100" screen, cables, ceiling mount, etc. cost less than $3,000 delivered. The deciding factor for me was that we kept our old 27" Sony WEGA as well, so the new FP will not be the only TV in the house, and I really wanted to get as close to the movie theater experience at home as I could. If it was, I would have bought the Samsung RPTV instead.

If you decide to go the FP route, I should probably mention that I chose the BenQ because it does both 4x3 and 16x9 (good for TV, old movies, and the newest stuff), is bright enough to work in my room that is not entirely dark, has a short throw and I could put it 12 feet from my screen, and is true XGA with a high contrast. A lot of people overlook this projector, but I think it was the perfect choice for me.

Hope some of that helps you with your decision.