1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Projector or Screen Upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by oguer2427, Nov 18, 2018.

1. oguer2427

oguer2427 Auditioning

Matthew
    Projector: Panasonic PT AE4000 - throw distance 12'

Screen: Painted high contrast Goo Systems Screen - 104" with black velvet frame

I have a fully light controlled semi-dedicated home theater with the back of the theater opened to a bar/rec area. Most of the time when we are viewing movies we are seated with lights off and I generally am happy with the picture, but of course I know it could be better.

When we are entertaining with some people seated and others at the bar area and we are watching sporting events or concerts, we generally prefer to have some lights on, which is where our system is lacking in lumens/gain. While I know that a fully dark room will always produce the best picture, I am asking for suggestions/recommendations on upgrading my projector or my screen, and what equipment would you recommend for better ambient light viewing. My max budget is around $3,500 but if I could do it for less, all the better.

2. jason4vu

jason4vu Auditioning

Jason
    I think I would upgrade projector first, however you could easily do both with your budget of 3500.00. I would look for a gently used JVC DILA projector(rs400, rs500) and you could easily get one of those and a screen under your budget. As far as the screen goes, if you are happy with the size definitely wouldn't need anything with a lot of gain. One suggestion I have is maybe have some smaller can lights installed in the ceiling that shoot downward as not to affect the image onscreen much. What I did is put mine in zones(front, middle, and rear) so that they could be controlled separately allowing for light in the seating areas away from the screen when in use.