What's new

Projector or Screen Upgrade (1 Viewer)

oguer2427

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Projector: Panasonic PT AE4000 - throw distance 12'

Screen: Painted high contrast Goo Systems Screen - 104" with black velvet frame

I have a fully light controlled semi-dedicated home theater with the back of the theater opened to a bar/rec area. Most of the time when we are viewing movies we are seated with lights off and I generally am happy with the picture, but of course I know it could be better.

When we are entertaining with some people seated and others at the bar area and we are watching sporting events or concerts, we generally prefer to have some lights on, which is where our system is lacking in lumens/gain. While I know that a fully dark room will always produce the best picture, I am asking for suggestions/recommendations on upgrading my projector or my screen, and what equipment would you recommend for better ambient light viewing. My max budget is around $3,500 but if I could do it for less, all the better.

jason4vu

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I think I would upgrade projector first, however you could easily do both with your budget of 3500.00. I would look for a gently used JVC DILA projector(rs400, rs500) and you could easily get one of those and a screen under your budget. As far as the screen goes, if you are happy with the size definitely wouldn't need anything with a lot of gain. One suggestion I have is maybe have some smaller can lights installed in the ceiling that shoot downward as not to affect the image onscreen much. What I did is put mine in zones(front, middle, and rear) so that they could be controlled separately allowing for light in the seating areas away from the screen when in use.

Paradiso

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I have similar issue.
Switching the can lights to spots instead of floods and moving them as high in the cans as possible made a big improvement.

Real Name
Jason Carney
I'm going through the same issue. My young kids require a light on to play and what not. So obviously the light ruins the picture. I had a nice screen and epson 2300ub and still the light degrades the picture. Im slowly altering my projector HT to a TV based HT. So my thoughts are to add a wall mount TV for times when the lights are needed... and a roll down projector screen for when you really want that movie theatre feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks