What's new

Projector or Plasma (1 Viewer)

calvin534

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
I am new to this forum and could use some sage advice and opinions. I am building a new home and this has caused me to rethink my home theater. I am torn between a 65-70" plasma/led or a projector.
The first obstacle for the Plasma is that it will installed over a fireplace and we will be sitting no more than 13' from it. I am concerned about the viewing angle. The next obstacle is that I do not have a confined space...meaning that the back of the room opens into a kitchen. I would like to be able to comfortable watching it while at a distance: aprox 25ft.
Projector- I am afraid this could be overkill. Most of our viewing will be off of the Direct TV, DVR, PPV and BlueRay. I am not overly concerned about the amount of light (all windows will have room darkening window coverings. I am looking at the following combo for the projector:
Sony SRDX
Screen Innovations Screen
Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Where would the screen for the projector be mounted? What size screen would you be able to fit? Whether you go with a projector or TV, will your seating distance mostly be about 13' ? If you could post a pic of this room, it would help.

calvin534

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
I wish I could post a picture of the room, all I have is the construction drawings (construction starts next week).
The screen would be motorized and offset over the fire place, with the the top edge of the screen about 2 ft from the top of the ceiling (9ft ceiling height) The screen would 100 to 110" and we are limited to a max distance of 13ft from the wall where the screen or tv would be mounted.
Thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't know what to say without seeing the room. Is this a corner fireplace? I'm no TV expert, but I would not mount a TV over a fireplace. Most rooms with a fireplace are a problem.

calvin534

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
This is the best I can...I have attached the final plans for the room where this would be.
Thanks in advance for your help,
[ATTACHMENT=282]family room and kitchen.pdf (381k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

calvin534

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
I wish I had that option. I like the idea of the projection, but I don't know how feasible this would be for everyday viewing. We are also upgrading the sound system and that has eaten into the budget.
If I go with the plasma, I would probably go with a 65" Panasonic (unless there are other suitable options).

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I really like my VT25 which is a older version of the VT50. I really like the Panasonic Plasmas.

calvin534

Auditioning
Real Name
brian
I was think 3-4k....from what I have seen on the internet this seems to be a good range. I just wish I could find something that did not have 3D- I really dont care for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks