What's new

Projector or LCD (1 Viewer)

jonnyMa

Agent
Ok im a complete newbie to this game and I dont really have a clue. I am moving house and I have a room to myself to do whatever I please with and have decided to make it into a dedicated tv room. Anyway im stuck between a 50inch Sony 3lcd tv or a projector. I watch a lot of digital tv and lots of dvds and I intend to upgrade to hdtv within the coming months. The room is perfectly rectangular with one window to the front and I have about 2300 dollars to spend on the display device. I will be connecting a ps2, dvd player,sky digibox(dont know if you have these in the states but im sure you know what it is. its a digital tv receiver box) and obviously a surround sound system. Can a projector do this?

I was kinda leaning towards a tv as the modern ones look so attractive and im a bit intimadated by the projector not knowing much about them. However the tv seems to have a lot of drawbacks and people seem to swear by projectors. Any advice on what would be best. If more info is needed just ask. Thanks. Jon.

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Buy a HD projector. There are several at your price point. The main consideration, can you control the light?

mylan

Screenwriter
If I had it to do over, I would get a projector as well. The Panasonic PT AE900U would come in just under your budget and the online vendors on this site may have a package deal with a screen. Like Oren suggested, can you control the light? Also remember that projector lamps burn out at a much faster rate than rear projection and they are currently 4 to $700 depending on model. Keep this in mind if you plan to watch lots of regular tv on it. Running it 4 to 5 hours a day could prove costly.

Quick shout out: Hey Oren, good to see a fellow Gainesvillian out there, we are even in the same zip code!

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Quick shout out: Hey Oren, good to see a fellow Gainesvillian out there, we are even in the same zip code!

I DID NOT EVEN NOTICE. We should get together and compare HT's and notes since it always seems to rain in Ga on Saturday, which is why I'm here and not out riding.

jonnyMa

Agent
In regards to controlling the light. Theres one large Window to the front of the room which will have a black pull down blind(or black curtains? whichever controls the light better) and no other window. Will this be sufficient for the light? The couch will be facing this window and the pull down screen will be between the couch and the window(if you can picture that)

Also I probably will be watching a fair bit of tv on it. How long does it take for the bulbs to burn out? Thanks.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Jonny Welcome to HTF. I to had been leaning towards a HDTV then I experimented with a projector and that is all I needed to decide to switch. I am looking at the Panny AE900 and also the Epson 550 actually I'm leaning towards the Epson but I digress.

I was overwhelmed by the projector thing as you are look here and you will find a lot of your questions answered and there are reviews on different models too.

Look at this and you will find many different projectors and owners experiences good and bad.

As for bulbs.....the time between bulb changes are very dependent on how many hours the projector is on, cooling air flow, the brightness of the bulb (projectors may have several "modes" to decrease or increase brightness for different viewing parameters) and if you clean the cooling vent/filters regularly.

I have read where one owner "pays" 50 cents an hour to his bulb fund so that when it finally "blows" he has got the money!

So just think instead of 25 dollars for the "real" movie experience it would just cost you maybe a buck fifty!:D

Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Rick

jonnyMa

Agent
How do the connections work with a projector. Im looking to use a ps2,dvd player,digital receiver(sky digibox), and the surround sound system obviously. can a projector do this and if so do I just plug these things directly into the projector or do they go through some sort of adapter. I realise this is most likely a stupid question but I really know nothing about electronics.:b

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya JonnyMa,

I am not an expert, but I do know that depending on your Projector there should be at least 2, maybe 3 inputs for your ps2, dvdp and dig(sat) rec.

Or if your projector has insufficient inputs then you have to look at the Audio Video Receivers that has at least 3 inputs (that is no problem at all as most budget receivers now have at least 3 inputs) which by the way will also power your surround sound system(DD/DTS) as well.

This should be the most cost efficient suggestion.

Regards
DavidSGT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks