What's new

Projector or FlatPanel? ~$5k budget (1 Viewer)

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I'm in a similar situation to the OP. Just bought a new home which had an existing movie room (mine is 13.5 x 20.5 x 10' high). The movie room had a projector, a screen on the wall and even a custom curtain and an antique glass candy counter taken from a 1950's era theater. But i have no desire to replicate a theater or for a projection system. I took all that out and bought a flat panel. Actually, the same one the OP mentioned - the 83" LG C2. Glorious.

Its a matter of preference and goals. To me a theater is a place with sticky floors. My goal: I want the best viewing/listening experience I can muster given my budget. Which in many aspects is going to be better then the theater experience.

I like the resolution, the color and dark blacks of the flat panel. I like being able to view with the lights on, or off, or dimmed. In full movie viewing mode I seem to like them dimmed so I can see my beer, my remote and I wont step on the dog. But maybe watching the game with friends I'd have the light on full. Point being - I have that choice with a flat panel.

It takes all kinds to make the world go around. If replicating the theater experience is your thing then wonderful. In that case a projector setup is probably in order.

Obviously you can get to a bigger screen size with a projector. But the optimum size would depend on how close your first row of seats are to the screen. I just started playing with seat positioning, but right now my first row is 9' from the screen. Which seems fine for the size and resolution of the 83" LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks