What's new

Projector Noise (1 Viewer)

Vrajku

Grip
Do all projector have an audible noise. We are considering the Infocus Player 7200 projector. It is so expensive and I don't want the noise to be a considerable factor while watching movies. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated

Enclose it in a cabinet with a ventilation system. Alternatively, I believe there is a company called Hushbox that makes plexiglass projector enclosures for just this problem.

Vrajku

Grip
It seems very complicated and tedious that a hush box has to be used when already these projectors are so expensive to begin with. Is the noise really disruptive while watching movies?

MikeWh

Second Unit
"Noise" is, of course, subjective. Some people don't care in the least, while others (I suppose) could be highly annoyed. If you tend to watch loud movies, then you probably won't even notice it.

The only PJ I regularly watch (hear?) is a Sharp M20X, which I never seem to notice, once the movie starts. I have never heard the 7200, but according to one source, the noise is relatively low. You might also note the issue about geometry problems with the 7200.

One note about placement of the PJ-- if possible, try and place it in a location that you are less likely to hear it; e.g., behind the seating area and not directly overhead.

For comparison, I have a Sim2 HT300+ that is located directly above my seating area. After having it installed for about a month, I had my carpenter back in to build an enclosure because I did find the noise distracting. YMMV.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I don't find the noise distrating.
I really don't hear anything.
Have you tried running the projector while watching a movie yet?
If people really love the sound in your theater, I doubted that they would even notice the projector noise.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Vrajku-- The geometry problem is explained further up in that article. I've quoted it here, in case you missed it:

Geometry: Unfortunately, when it comes to geometry we found a problem that manifested itself in similar fashion on both the Infocus and Toshiba samples. The projected image is not precisely rectangular. The bottom edge of the image (top edge when ceiling mounted) is straight, but the sides and top bow outward just a bit producing a slight pincushion effect. The error is not huge—about 1.5% on both machines. But that is enough to make the corners obviously out of square when trying to match the projected image to the screen. To compensate for this you must expand the image until the entire 16:9 screen surface area is illuminated. The screen mask thus defines the image border and gives you the perfect rectangle you want. However, this forces small portions of the image onto the screen mask at the top and sides (bottom and sides when ceiling mounted). Practically speaking, this means that on a 100" diagonal screen, about ¾" of the top center portion of the image falls onto the top mask when the bottom edge is perfectly aligned. We would prefer to see better geometric precision in a product in this price class.
1.78 is the same as 16:9 (16 / 9 = 1.78)-- the aspect ratio for widescreen HDTV. See the FAQ:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...908#post511908

Vrajku

Grip
Thanks so much for explaining about the geometry problem.
Is this true of all HD2 DLP projectors or is it specific to infocus. Is there another projector (HDTV) which does not have this problem within the same price range? Thanks for any help

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Infocus 7200 and am very happy with it. I've never noticed the geometry issue--If it is there it must not be very noticable, at least to me. I'm very particulary about these things so I'm suprised I have not noticed it.

As to the noise. The fan in the projector does make some noise. Unfortunately, due to the layout of my room I have to have it mounted above my head so it is probably in the most noticable postion. I typically do not notice the noise. Only on very quiet passages in a movie when I have the sound turned down. I don't have any extensive experience with any other projector so I can't really compare it.

The picture, however, is amazing....

Vrajku

Grip
I am so happy and relieved to hear that you have an infocus 7200. I was so bent upon this particular projector. I am so glad that you are happy with it. I will be able to mount it on the ceiling quite a bit back from where we sit. SO that should not be a problem. Thanks again for your input.
This website is just so amazing. I have learnt so much about projectors in such a short time!

Terry Montlick

Stunt Coordinator
Is the noise really disruptive while watching movies?
The answer is yes and no ;).

If your projector produces a lot of fan noise, then that will be what you hear during the quietest parts of a movie. This reduces the overall dynamic range that you hear, because the very softest parts of the soundtrack will be drowned out by the projector. This problem gets worse as you sit closer to the projector. You may need to engage the dynamic range control (DRC - "night listening" mode) on your receiver. It compromises dynamic range, of course, but that damage has already been done by your projector noise. At least with DRC, the dialog won't be too soft to hear.

On the other hand, fan noise will mask sounds coming from outside your HT, reducing the need for soundproofing. It's like turning on the AC in a hotel room to mask traffic noise. A small amount of projector fan noise will reduce dynamic range by a few dB. But at least it will be constant, masking the spin cycle of that washing machine on the other side of the wall, and perhaps not enough to seriously cut into the quietest parts of a movie.

On the third hand, if your HT acoustics are not great (too much/uneven reverb, loud early reflections, boomy bass, etc.), all of the above doesn't matter too much. You've got other audio reproduction problems which will remain even after you've solved the noise issues.

I'm out of hands! How much projector noise you want to tolerate ultimately depends on how much of a purist you want to be. How accurately do you want the soundtrack to be reproduced, compared to a high quality commercial movie theater?

Regards,
Terry

Vrajku

Grip
Can someone tell me which projector has the least amount of noise among the high quality (HD2 DLP chip projectors or similar).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks