Projector Noise

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vrajku, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

Do all projector have an audible noise. We are considering the Infocus Player 7200 projector. It is so expensive and I don't want the noise to be a considerable factor while watching movies. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated

2. Darren{Moo}

Darren{Moo} Extra

Enclose it in a cabinet with a ventilation system. Alternatively, I believe there is a company called Hushbox that makes plexiglass projector enclosures for just this problem.

3. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

It seems very complicated and tedious that a hush box has to be used when already these projectors are so expensive to begin with. Is the noise really disruptive while watching movies?

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

"Noise" is, of course, subjective. Some people don't care in the least, while others (I suppose) could be highly annoyed. If you tend to watch loud movies, then you probably won't even notice it.

The only PJ I regularly watch (hear?) is a Sharp M20X, which I never seem to notice, once the movie starts. I have never heard the 7200, but according to one source, the noise is relatively low. You might also note the issue about geometry problems with the 7200.

One note about placement of the PJ-- if possible, try and place it in a location that you are less likely to hear it; e.g., behind the seating area and not directly overhead.

5. Darren{Moo}

Darren{Moo} Extra

For comparison, I have a Sim2 HT300+ that is located directly above my seating area. After having it installed for about a month, I had my carpenter back in to build an enclosure because I did find the noise distracting. YMMV.

6. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

What is meant by geometric imprecision and what is 1.78 format?

7. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I don't find the noise distrating.
    I really don't hear anything.
    Have you tried running the projector while watching a movie yet?
    If people really love the sound in your theater, I doubted that they would even notice the projector noise.

8. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

What kind of projector do you have? Thanks

9. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Vrajku-- The geometry problem is explained further up in that article. I've quoted it here, in case you missed it:

10. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

Thanks so much for explaining about the geometry problem.
    Is this true of all HD2 DLP projectors or is it specific to infocus. Is there another projector (HDTV) which does not have this problem within the same price range? Thanks for any help

11. Rich X

Rich X Stunt Coordinator

I have an Infocus 7200 and am very happy with it. I've never noticed the geometry issue--If it is there it must not be very noticable, at least to me. I'm very particulary about these things so I'm suprised I have not noticed it.

As to the noise. The fan in the projector does make some noise. Unfortunately, due to the layout of my room I have to have it mounted above my head so it is probably in the most noticable postion. I typically do not notice the noise. Only on very quiet passages in a movie when I have the sound turned down. I don't have any extensive experience with any other projector so I can't really compare it.

The picture, however, is amazing....

12. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

I am so happy and relieved to hear that you have an infocus 7200. I was so bent upon this particular projector. I am so glad that you are happy with it. I will be able to mount it on the ceiling quite a bit back from where we sit. SO that should not be a problem. Thanks again for your input.
    This website is just so amazing. I have learnt so much about projectors in such a short time!

13. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

14. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

15. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

16. Vrajku

Vrajku Extra

Can someone tell me which projector has the least amount of noise among the high quality (HD2 DLP chip projectors or similar).