What's new

Projector mounting (1 Viewer)

bucklib

Auditioning
Real Name
brandon
I need some advice for hooking up home theatre. I have a dell projector 2400mp that comes with a ceiling mount and all the hardware. I have a ceiling that im not sure will hold the weight of a projector and mount plates. What should i do. i have an option to get a shelf to set the projector on instead of mounting.

Also the projector is capable of hdtv at 1080i. Vga going out to components. Should i just run that to a receiver cabable of component and go off that for entertainment, surround, and other game hookups.

Appreciate all the advice i can get. Any other suggestions?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Why won't the ceiling hold the weight? What kind of ceiling is it? Don't you have a ceiling joist in the mounting area? If there's no ceiling joist available, toggle bolts will work fine. The projector and mount is probably about 15 lbs. Your hookup depends on what inputs your projector has, what you're hooking up to it, and what inputs your receiver has. It's always best to hook up directly from DVD player, etc. to projector, if possible. Otherwise, you can use your receiver as a switcher between components and projector.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Do you have access above the ceiling? Like a crawlspace or attic or something like that?

In my current setup, I did not have what I considered to be enough ceiling joists in the area where I wanted to mount my projector, which is a beefy 18 pounds plus the mount which is a beefy 15 pounds on top of that. I installed 2x6's in the area (above the ceiling) so I had more lexibility of placement of the projector and trust me, I would hang my full weight off that with no fear.

bucklib

Auditioning
Real Name
brandon
well the ceiling is hard to explain but theres no way you could neatly get around it with out damaging the ceiling. its like fault but shitty. So i was thinking maybe hanging a large shelf off the wall but i have a ceiling mount that i wanna use. so im not sure if i should screw a l shape piece of wood from the side wall and mounting it from the ceiling part down. so this way it would be suspended from the side wall itself/.

Another reply to the vga hookups. I have vga out and in. Comes with a cable vga out spliting out to components. this will give me component quality from what it sounds. you can say im a newbie. i wanna hook up hdtv, playstation, xbox, and dvd player all up to the projector. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to hook this all together.

thanks much

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks