projector mounting

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paul Defris, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Paul Defris

Paul Defris Auditioning

Hi, I was wondering, when suspending from the ceiling can you place a projector on a shelf or does it have to be suspended up side down for proper alignment? My room is all done and I'm waiting on a Sanyo Z2 to come in.

2. JohnFelty

JohnFelty Auditioning

Either will work. It's a simple adjustment to flip the image.

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Be aware that a FP does not "shoot straight out of the lens" as you might imagine. If placed on a table, it shoots at an up angle (typically 10-12 degrees). Similarly, it will shoot at a down angle if mounted upside-down on the ceiling.

This is desireable because a table is typically below the screen level and ceiling is above.

It's really going to cause you trouble to mount on a high shelf rightside-up, since it will want to project on to the ceiling. I suppose you could mount a shelf high up on the wall, then hang the unit, inverted from the bottom of the shelf ... but you'll want to make sure have enough clearance behind the PJ for venting the fan.

4. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

The other factor is getting to any buttons on the projector. If you shelf mount it high against a ceiling, you may not be able to get to any of the projector's access buttons.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    [​IMG] I have my projector mounted off a 12' ceiling.

Anyway, the thing to check out is the exhaust porting of the Z2. Leave enough room for the hot air to escape of risk damaging your bulb/projector in the long term.