What's new

Projector Mounting Distance and Screen Advice (1 Viewer)

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
Hey guys,

New to the forum and love all the info here! I'm ready to purchase the equipment for my home theater and looking for some advise. I've got a mall theater room and not looking to break the bank so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

My room is wired for 7.1 surround and I am look for wall mount speakers. I'm thinking about buying 6 Bose cube (or double cube) speakers since they are small and I've heard they sound good. I'm going to install a ceiling mount projector which is already wired for HDMI and I m considering an Epson PowerLite 2030.

Not sure which receiver would be best nor center channel speaker or sub. I'm open to all suggestions for wall mounted speakers, receivers, projectors, etc.. I'll be using this for movies, TV and gaming.

Thanks in advance!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You lost me, and the majority of the forum, with Blose. (Blose is the antithesis of "budget". And frankly...they suck. Especially for the price you pay)

We can't help with the projector unless we know...

Actual room size.
Where you are putting the projector?
Seating distance/arrangement.

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
I'm definitely open to other speakers. Obviously I don't know much but just looking for good sounding small speakers and I've been able to find the bose cube speakers locally for a pretty good price is the only reason I mentioned those... Any speaker recommendations as well as places to buy equipment at a good price is much appreciated. The room size is approximately 13' (w) x 14'(l) so it is a small set up. Seating distance would be approximately 12 feet from the screen. Thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bose cubes do not, at all, work without the bass module. Bose proprietary DSP is in the bass module.

Everything else sounds better.

"Small" is relative. I consider these small...
http://www.amazon.com/America-Adatto-Dv52Si-Outdoor-Speakers/dp/B0000Y2WXE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391889994&sr=1-2&keywords=BIC+dv52
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-ProMonitor-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B000UW3L86/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1391890024&sr=1-9&keywords=definitive+monitor

Anything smaller than those should be relegated to the rear channels only. Your front, and most important, 3 need to be at least that big.

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
I think these speakers would work well in my room. Any recommendations for a receiver, projector, etc..?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Projector...Answer the room questions first. But I always default to DLP, unless your budget supports d-ila/LCoS. (I never recommend LCD anything. So take that as you will)AVR depends on your sources/content.What all are you hooking up...what do you listen to?Need/want...Streaming/network app control?Have a Wii or VCR?Turntable? Roku/ATV/WD box?

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
The room is about 13 feet wide by 16 feet length. Projector will be ceiling mounted about 15 feet from the screen. Seating will be approx 12 feet from the screen. Will be hooking up a Wii and xbox as well as dvd/blu ray. I also use Apple TV and have an HD DVR/cable box. I'd also be curious to know why you stay clear of LCD projectors?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Where to begin...1. Your seating location leaves nowhere for speakers 6/7. Move up to 10' or forget 6/7.2. Your projector "spot" doesn't work...a. Needs to be closer or it interferes with the Wii sensor. Kinnect probably wouldn't work either.b. You would be in the way during games where you aren't sitting.DLP is smoother, faster(Xbox over a LCD projector is a joke) and more film like. I suggest you move the projector up to about 8' and the BenQ 1080ST.

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
I'm looking into buying a BenQ W1080ST at the suggestion of someone here due to my small theater room (approx 13'6" L x 11,6" W). My max screen size is 84" assuming a 3.5" border on a fixed frame screen. I am trying to calculate the optimal distance to mount the projector on the ceiling and using the online calculator at projector central it tells me my maximum distance is 5'1" from the screen but these seems extremely close. Is this correct or can I mount is father back (say 8' to 9') from the screen? Would there be a better projector option for my room? I'd also appreciate any tips on the best type of screen and where to buy?

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
Thanks.. Are there any specific projectors you'd recommend for this size room?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm merging this thread with the other one.

Have no clue why you started another thread.

Like the other thread. I already told you why to buy a ST projector to begin with. But you don't like the 5'(ish) throw.

Do you want your Wii/Xbox to work?
Buy a ST projector.

Removing the Wii/Xbox?
Then you can choose any other style.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've looked at the XBox forums for projectors.

Unlike the Wii sensor, Kinnect isn't "overtly" affected by projectors. Everybody over there says the exact same thing I already said.

The projector has to be the same distance, or closer, than you are. Period. Or you are standing in the light from the projector. Unless...of course...all your games are played seated...then it doesn't matter.

Are all your games for the Wii and XBox playable from your couch? Do you not play RockBand? Do you not play any Dance Revolution?

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
Most of the games I play are all seated games but that's not to say something might not come along that makes me want to use the kinect, etc... I do like the BenQ 1080ST just wasn't sure mounting it 5 ft from the screen was correct but it does make sense to do that so you're not in the way if playing games with the kinect/wii... Thanks for the advice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll add this...

I don't game from a projector. I have a JVC. They aren't "the best" at it(from a speed standpoint). If I gamed...and wanted a projector in my main theatre for it...I would buy a Sony. But I'm not a "$1000-$1500 budget projector buyer".

I'm also 6'2". My GF is 5'10". Most males in my family are 6' to 6'6". Even the women(not the GF or married into) are 5'11" to 6'3".

From my current projector positioning, with my seating(9' from a 110" ish screen), I would not be able to play Wii. My projector would have to move forward.

What I would end up doing...is a three display set up. I already have a 50" Hitachi plasma, and the JVC. I would probably buy the 1080ST and mount it at 6'(or whatever the distance is for 110") and use it strictly for gaming. But...I have the budget and the desire to keep my situation "maxed" with no compromises.

JD4200

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Dee
Going back to my first post about assembling a 7.1 home theater system, I've found a Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 system and it specifically states on the website that if you want to make it a 7.1 system to buy two addition Procinema 800 series speakers and use them as the front right and left speakers. I've already purchased two other ProCinema 600 speakers so can I use these or is it necessary to use the 800's for some reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks