Projector lens flip question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris_HA, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Background
    I have an older InFocus LP-720 projector connected to my HTPC. In my previous installation, I built my own ceiling mount for it. However, I noticed bad motion artifacts when I selected the ceiling mount mode. I ended up using Nvidia's nView utilities to flip the image on the video card, thus allowing me to keep the projector in normal mode, even when upside down.

The down-side to this is that if I want to watch TV directly on the unit or I want to view the VGA signal on another monitor, I have to flip the image either on the projector or the video card. It's a big PITA.

The Point
    So, I have since moved, and figured now is the time to work on a fix. I would still like to move my projector onto a mount on the ceiling, but want to keep the projector right side up, rather than mount it upside-down.

The keystoning on this projector is built into the lens. I figure that I would need to flip the lens 180 degrees. At the very least, I would LOVE to clean the dust blobs that are INSIDE the lens.

Do you guys think this will work, or do I risk permanently messing up my optics?

2. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

I know, I ask the hard-hitting questions, but surely someone out there has some insight or conjecture on taking these lenses apart.

[​IMG]

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Most of the time, the dust blobs are on the optical block (sitting on the LCD panels). If you're willing to take the risk to do it yourself, you can pop the cover, and spray the dust blobs off with canned air. Be sure to use a 1/2 empty canned air bottle, and keep the bottle upright, so that you MAKE SURE that the LCD panels are hit only with air, and no liquid drops. MAKE SURE, MAKE SURE, MAKE SURE.

I've done it a few times with a few different LCD projectors and it works great. Just don't make any mistakes.

Do at your own risk.

4. Chris_HA

Chris_HA Agent

Gabriel, thanks for the words of wisdom. I am sire that there is dust on the LCD panels, and will probably get around to cleaning them soon.

Do you by chance know which lens assy does the keystoning?