Projector hunt...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by TommyL, Aug 16, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Well, the search is on...I am looking for a projector, and a screen for my HT. I will be using this for dvd's and Xbox mostly...very little directv. Any thoughts on what would suit me best both in projector and screen...and suggestions on who is great to deal with? A photo of my current room setup is here--->

http://home.mchsi.com/~toml/wsb/html...e-skip-10.html

thanks all! tom

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Tommy, how much are you willing to spend on the FP setup?

3. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

I took a look at your photos. SVS B4!!?? I thought those really only existed in my wet dreams. You lucky dog you. [​IMG]

Yeah, Neil's question is the most important one. Although the budget $1,000-to-$2,500 projectors are pretty awesome these days, and well worth considering, you DO get a significantly better image if you’re willing to spend more.

For around $1K, look at the Infocus X1 (DLP) or the Sanyo PLV-Z1or Panasonic L200U (both LCD). All very nice budget projectors, but be careful not to sit too close or pixelation will be a serious issue.

For around $2K, give or take a few hundred, you can pick up a Panasonic L300U or Sony HS-10. They're very popular because they throw a really nice image with minimal pixelation. Being LCD projectors, their blacks leave a little to be desired, but with a High Contrast Grey screen, they can still be quite acceptable. The blacks from a setup like this won't be quite as good as you probably have on your big screen projection TV, but virtually everybody who's made the switch from RPTV to FPTV has been very glad they did. With the exception of the blacks, most people feel the image from these projectors is just as nice as their previous RPTV, but the impact is so much greater due to the size.

If you're willing to spend considerably more, you can get a REALLY awesome projector. If I were you, some of the current DLP projectors I'd take a look at are: NEC HT1000, BenQ PE8700, Sharp Z10000, the Infocus 5700 and 7200, the Optoma H56 or soon-to-be-available Optoma H76. If you prefer LCD (no rainbows), check out the Sanyo PLV70 (same as Boxlight Cinema 20HD) or the Sony 12HT. This is hardly an exhaustive list, just some of the more popular (and more expensive) projectors.

With screens, the biggest question is, whether you want a permanent fixed screen, or a rolldown screen. Fixed screens are great for dedicated rooms. They give you the look and feel of a real theater. And they're FLAT. On the other hand, dropdown screens, whether electric or manual, obviously move out of the way when not in use. They can sometimes have problems with not being flat, but tensioning can alleviate that potential problem (but for extra $$$).

If you want a dropdown screen, Stewart, Da-lite, Draper, and Vutec all offer them.

If you want a fixed screen, we (Carada) offer fixed screens in addition to the other manufacturers mentioned above.

Oh by the way, will you be using the same room as in your photos on your website? You may have already considered this, but you'll want better light control than just those blinds for daytime viewing with front projection. You could add pulldown blackout shades in front of the blinds and that would give you pretty good control (although still not perfect). The best solution would be blackout drapes that completely cover the entire window casings.

David Giles

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Also what is the size of that room?

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks Guys! I am trying to stay in that 2k range for the projector...and I would think a good drop down screen would be great, and please the wife[​IMG] As for the light coming in...yes, I am looking at alternatives to prevent that...so that shouldn't be a problem. The room is 21x26x8' the couch in the pic being the halfway point. add-on to this with your thoughts and ideas....I'm interested ! thanks much...tom

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You will have to budget for the screen. The Sony HS10 and Panasonic L300U (1/4 HD) are two good options around that pricepoint as already mentioned by David and if you can possibly go a little higher then the Sanyo PLV70/Boxlite HD20 is a good pick and a nice projector that throws a bright image.

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks for the input..how about a screen at say 10-12 feet...Are there any sponsored places to buy these items that you would recommend or have dealt with? a link to a few good screens would be great...I am looking into the 300 as my "to beat" projector...the boxlight and sanyo are 4-7k..a bit more than I want to spend being this will end up being upgraded sooner than later[​IMG] thanks! tom

8. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

How about a DIY screen?