What's new

Projector hopeful with burn-in questions. (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I hope to move to FPTV when I get into my new house where I will have more room and a more dedicated space. My question is, do DLP and LCD projectors suffer from burn in. The reason I ask is because most affordable projectors still have 4:3 as their native aspect ratio, and I will be viewing a lot of widescreen content.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Tim's "basically, no" comment :)
While it IS possible for LCD to suffer from prolonged static images, DLP, I would think, would be fine. As long as those tiny mirrors don't fail with prolonged static exposure to one image...?
The thing with LCD and DLP is the bulb replacements, and the cost associated with that. Most bulbs are good for around 2000 hours, and cost 300-500 a piece.
Plus, since LCD and DLP are fixed pixel displays, they must be squeezed optically with a separate anamorphic lens if you want to retain the added resolution of anamorphic DVD's.
...And the fact that they have weaker blacks than a CRT...
If PQ is your ultimate goal, Id stick with a CRT...
LCD and DLP have a ways to go before they can match a CRT's PQ performance and longevity.
I did read that Samsung has a LCD RPTV that uses a special bulb that lasts 60,000 hours - If that's true, thats 5 hours a day, 365 days a year, for almost 33 years! Whereas the 2,000 hour bulb would only last you a little over a year at 5 hours a day....
-Ryan Dinan

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
No, neither can suffer from burn in; and you can get full anamorphic resolution from a DVD with a 4:3 projector. The trick is you usually have to use an HTPC.

An XGA projector is capable of displaying 768 lines in a 4:3 frame. That means that with a 16:9 picture, it can only show around 575 lines ( (768 * 4:3) / 16:9). DVD video is only 480 lines, so you still get all your lines resolved. An HTPC can force this size and fit everything inside the 16:9 frame with no loss of resolution.

That being said, the Sony LCD PJs (10HT and 11HT) are excellent pieces from what I have read, and they have native 16:9 LCD panels. The CRTs may have better blacks, but the ease of setup and weight issues favor LCD/DLP/D-ILA. Its really a matter of which matters more to you.

If you can stand the weight and the setup/tinkering issues of a CRT and aren't afraid to buy one used, I would definitely look at getting one; they are the best looking and most affordable solutions available with the glut of used CRT PJs for sale.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, I wont be going HTPC (just not interested) and I doubt I will go CRT because I will be in a poorly light controlled room, but thanks for the other info.

Cant you use an external scaler with a DVD player to get the same effect as HTPC?

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I don't know what your proposed budget might be, but the new Sharp 9000 has a great scaler built in. Very impressive for an on-board scaler. I think the Sharp is going to run around $9,000 or so. You can see it demoed at Custom Eletronics, or at least could last time I was in.

Deane

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, I havent seen it, but I would say its outside my budget. I tried posting some questions over at AVS, but I get the feeling that my questions went over there like "can I biwire my speakers using the A/B speaker outs on my receiver" goes over here. I am mostly curious if a sub $3000 DLP or LCD will work in an only semi-dark room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks